stupid winter ducks

jbrown_14105

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
I have my 5 drakes & 3 hens (Pekins) and even though they have had a duck house for 6+ months they refuse/won't sleep in it at all.....even when the snow is coming down hard & the temp is below 20!
They just tuck their head under their wing, pull up their feet and wait out the storm.
Of course it is good that the feed pan is always "filled" and ready inside and they go in more than once a day to feed!
The duck house measures 8 feet long bu 4 foot square/wide/tall....plenty of room, and they all go in for feeding time(s) Plenty of straw & hay also is on the floor!

Any ideas, or should I just herd them in and shut the door for a few days.....?
Jim Brown
Lockport NY

They will go inside if they need to. Ducks are pretty much weather-proof.

I do shut my ducks in at night because of predators, but they have both a coop and a secure night run. My guys prefer to be in the night run. They will go into their coop and putter around, but they sleep outdoors. I suspect that ducks are just not psychologically designed to live under a roof.

Mine are locked in there barn at night to prevent loss from predators. I even leave the door open during the day(they free range) and many times they will go in/out on their own..

Come dusk they start to gather around the house, some are already waiting for us in it.

Last edited:
Thank-You for your replies....today is just cold...and they are happy!
Thanks
Jim Brown
Lockport NY

Spoil 'em indoors for a while....they WILL get it.

Mine are kept indoors at night no matter what the temps. If I try to get them outside (before they are ready), I get a duck circle dance in protest.

I'm with Miss Lydia.
Herd them in there & close them up.
After a while of doing so each night they should put themselves to bed. Mine do.

Ski poles make excellent herders. One on either side and any who want to make a dash for it are quickly herded back in. You can probably go to your local thrift shop to buy them cheaply.

I am so glad my ducks go in at night. I really can't relate to this, but I say lock them up. If you force them in at night, you won't have to worry. My ducks apparently think they are chickens, because they are one of the first few in the coop at night for bed, but are always the first to come out in the morning. :confused:

I don't even have any water or food in the coop to entice them.

I wouldn't call your guys/gals stupid. They are just ducks. Ducks like to party all night outside (except for mine :rolleyes: )

I am so glad my ducks go in at night. I really can't relate to this, but I say lock them up. If you force them in at night, you won't have to worry. My ducks apparently think they are chickens, because they are one of the first few in the coop at night for bed, but are always the first to come out in the morning.
hu.gif

I don't even have any water or food in the coop to entice them.
I wouldn't call your guys/gals stupid. They are just ducks. Ducks like to party all night outside (except for mine
roll.png
)

Mine also love their house/home and if even looks like it's starting to get dusky my goose starts making the alarm call[ woman get out here and open the door] lol. My muscovies just stand around at the opening of the door waiting for me to close them up, they could go in by themselves but it seems they like mama to tuck them in...
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom