Sulmtalers Thread

Pics

Has anyone hatched a sulmtaler chick with this much black on head wings and shoulder ? This chick hatched out with these markings. This pic is at two days old and is the same as it was when it dried off.

Has anyone hatched a sulmtaler chick with this much black on head wings and shoulder ? This chick hatched out with these markings. This pic is at two days old and is the same as it was when it dried off.

Yes, mine sometimes have a very small dark spot on top of the head.

Any Guesses on these Sulmtaler chicks? They are 7 days old today in these photos.

Look like all girls, but only that last pic of chick #5 looks MAYBE boyish.... so if you win the auction (looks like you will) you are gonna be seriously the luckiest ever!

#5 is the one that hatched with the dark spot on its head and dark smudges between its shoulders. I was thinking only #3 and #4 were girls! I do hope I get to make the drive to TN.

Look like all girls, but only that last pic of chick #5 looks MAYBE boyish.... so if you win the auction (looks like you will) you are gonna be seriously the luckiest ever!

To a few questions further back... (sorry I am so slow)
The Widget Creek Ranch Sulmtaler line seems to be of excellent health overall. We had absolutely no health issues since we imported them. They love to go outside and forage. What surprises me the most is the temperament. I can bring a younger bird into an established flock and there are no problems whatsoever. No fights, not even from my head rooster. I have other breeds that give me all kinds of "problems" (not really) like flying over the 6-foot fence, not wanting to go inside in the evening, sleeping on the door rather than on the roost, screaming extremely loud when handled (italians and spanish breeds especially), establishing dominance until one is bleeding, etc. Not the Sulmtalers!
They do eat more through than my other imported breed, the Appenzeller Barthühner. Those have to be the most frugal breed besides maybe Cubalayas. I clean out the Sulmtaler roost area weekly whereas with the Barthühner it is totally not necessary. Eat less, poop less. But they are lighter overall.
Sulmtalers are not egg machines although they lay pretty consistantly, especially in the colder part of the year. They were also bread to put on meat with a corn diet. Before ethanol that would have been really a money saver. Not so much these days. They still love corn though.
Overall I am very happy with the genetic line. These are not the same as Great Britain Sulmtalers. The English standard is slightly different (don't ask me details, I have not researched that), they are a different line than the German/Austrian/Swiss lines.
As for the pics above I have actually never tried to definitively sex them that early. One or two more weeks will tell you for sure what you are dealing with. The good news is that the percentage females vs males is usually pretty even, with females slightly dominating. I had a couple of Barthühner hatches that ended up in saussages because they were mostly males. Almost like Ameraucanas sometimes. Must be the beard
wink.png

It looks like you are going on a road trip! Few more hours to go, but I'd say it is safe to say you have it. ;)

Hope everyone is well!

ETA: I spoke too soon. Sorry to get your hopes up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom