Sulmtalers Thread

Pics
I'm wondering how the new color that GF imported (golden duckwing) compares to the original import as far as size, growth and egg production. I know in some breeds such as the Bresse, the different colors are quite different in utility.

Last edited:
I'm wondering how the new color that GF imported (golden duckwing) compares to the original import as far as size, growth and egg production. I know in some breeds such as the Bresse, the different colors are quite different in utility.
the color is called Salmon, while the Males phenotype may be that of a golden duckwing, but he is not Golden(S/s+) genotypically, his genotype would be that of a Red enhanced Silver Wheaten, just like Faverolles,

the color is called Salmon, while the Males phenotype may be that of a golden duckwing, but he is not Golden(S/s+) genotypically, his genotype would be that of a Red enhanced Silver Wheaten, just like Faverolles,

Which is what I've been saying for a long time, but everyone keeps calling them GDW.

Which is what I've been saying for a long time, but everyone keeps calling them GDW.

Thank you for the information! :)

Do you have any idea regarding differences other than color?

This thread has got me interested in this breed. It's also made me hungry for chicken. I'd love to taste the meat from these birds.

I'm really enjoying the Sulmtaler roo and hen I have (from WC hatching eggs). My roo just started crowing regularly but not often. I personally like the deep element to the crow but we'll see how the neighbors fare. I haven't observed him to be overly attentive to the girls. My 2 pound Sultan girl stands tall and chases him all over when he approaches her. Quite the sight!

I wonder what the chances are that my roo and his hatch mate are too closely related to hatch out her eggs. I probably won't do it because I'm just not set up for more than my flock of 8 hens. Have to say, I wouldn't mind raising some for eating but there is the space issue.

Anyway, this thread is quiet, just like these birds!

Quiet? Just wait. I have both the GD and Blue Wheaten. Somehow I ended up with 13 Roos and 6 hens. They crow so much that I am counting the days until processing day. I love this breed but the crowing is all day long.

My roo crows LOUD, lol (he's a GD as well)...but he doesn't seem to crow any more than any other roos I've had...but he's only around 6 months old now.

He's a Greenfire bird....first generation born here from their imported birds.

This is him with the Sulmtaler hen on the right and my other two hens, an EE cross and a blue cochin. You can see how HUGE he is at this young age. And he's getting prettier by the day.

Back
Top Bottom