Sumatra Thread!

Pics
Right now I have black standards. My hens look pretty good as far as comparing them to the APA standards. My rooster is NOT. I MAY hatch a few from them in the spring to see what he throws in there but I'm not sure. His comb and wattles are too big. Then again I might just wait to get more from a good breeder and go from there...

Quote:
yea that is a good thought even so you can test your hens quality that way.
im still looking for a good rooster for my large sumatra hens.
my got killed last year for a skunk when he was in the coop

Hello, brand new owner of LF black Sumatra rooster and 4 blue hens. Very beautiful birds, but these are not yet very people friendly. We got them at poultry show at a silent auction to benefit the Virginia Poultry Breeders Assoc. Anyway, dont even know how old they are since we have had them 5 weeks now and no eggs. We think they are pretty young. The rooster has a couple nubs on his legs that are hopefully spurs growing. Will try to get some pics and post. I think they are true or at least close to the standard. I do hope to breed this little group soon. They will get out this weekend for some free range time for the first time and see how they do. Hope to learn more from other Sumatra owners.
smile.png

Quote:
yes, a cochin was mixed into his line a couple generations ago. I have another cock and 3 pullets that are much truer to the breed, no leg feathering. This cock however is mostly Sumatra, except for the leg feathering. I'll be breeding the other, larger, truer breed sumatra cock with the 3 pullets. This guy here is only around for a little while longer, if he behaves lol. He is my buddy though, and follows me around the yard. I'll post some pics soon of the other cock, he's beautiful too.

Quote:
yes, a cochin was mixed into his line a couple generations ago. I have another cock and 3 pullets that are much truer to the breed, no leg feathering. This cock however is mostly Sumatra, except for the leg feathering. I'll be breeding the other, larger, truer breed sumatra cock with the 3 pullets. This guy here is only around for a little while longer, if he behaves lol. He is my buddy though, and follows me around the yard. I'll post some pics soon of the other cock, he's beautiful too.

Why would someone breed there Sumatras to Cochins?

Back
Top Bottom