Sumatra Thread!

Pics
Quote:
yes, a cochin was mixed into his line a couple generations ago. I have another cock and 3 pullets that are much truer to the breed, no leg feathering. This cock however is mostly Sumatra, except for the leg feathering. I'll be breeding the other, larger, truer breed sumatra cock with the 3 pullets. This guy here is only around for a little while longer, if he behaves lol. He is my buddy though, and follows me around the yard. I'll post some pics soon of the other cock, he's beautiful too.

Why would someone breed there Sumatras to Cochins?

LOL the lady I got the chicks from didn't even know they were Sumatras....so it was accidental breeding....I'll be breeeding the cochin out.

Mine are 20 weeks old now, and lately have begun making this screeching/growling type sound at random times. Both the cocks and pullets will make the noise. Is this something all chickens do, or just Sumatras?

I sure wish I could get some eggs soon, I'm excited for that. I had to eat 1 roo, he was the smallest of 3, and the meanest to the hens. Tried to rehome him, but no luck, so he made dinner 2 nights ago, with leftovers
big_smile.png

He was 19 weeks old and dressed out at 1.85 lbs., skinned. Slow roasted that guy and he was delicious!

I can only keep 1 cock with my 3 hens, and it will be my biggest, purest Sumatra cock. Hopefully get some chicks from them, but none are even laying yet. I already know who has to go next, it's my #2 roo. Even though he's my buddy, follows me all around the yard, he's taken the place of the other roo and become mean with the hens. My alpha roo, which I will keep, is very gentlemanly with the ladies, I hope that doesn't change.

Is this something all chickens do, or just Sumatras?

All chickens do this. Normally when they see a bird flying over or something like that.​

Quote:
He's handsome! I'll try to post pics of my alpha roo soon, I usually have more luck with videos outside, since they always are moving lol

love to see them!

Quote:
All chickens do it to some degree, but I've found it by far the most distinctive in Sumatras. I call it howling. "ah aha ha aha ah AH AH AHHHH AHHHHH... growl."

This was my #3 of 3 roos. He had feathered feet (from cochin mix), and some brown feathers, but still very pretty.
70052_rooster_2.jpg

Unfortunately for him, he picked on the hens, so he had to go. i tried to rehome 2 roos, but no luck. So we ate him
big_smile.png

Pre-oven, skinned and seasoned:
70052_0103011605.jpg

After a slow roasting, to a juicy, tender perfection:
70052_0103012104.jpg

My #2 has feathered feet as well, and I plan to breed the alpha roo with 3 hens, so #2 has to go soon also. #2 is my little buddy, follows me everywhere in the yard, so I'm letting him have as much time as he can
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom