Sumatra Thread!

awesome birds! what breed are the trio?they look like Thai.

They're shamos. First time with this breed. I'm hoping I can really work and continue breeding them. But sumatras are my priority! I kept a few hens this year and culled maybe 30 or so. Here's one of them, maybe about 3-4 months old

I bought a pair from Toni-Marie last year that lay blue eggs. It's a beautiful shade of blue that I would put up against any Amearicana egg any day ! From what I read, somewhere , she may have gotten them from the university of Arkansas along time ago....but I could be wrong on that.

Hey guys! I live up in zone 5. Its getting very cold and this is my first year with a Sumatra flock. My understanding is that Sumatras don't take cold weather too well. Should I be heating their coop? What do you folks up in the northern climates usually do? Have you have a hard time keeping them healthy though the winter?

I'm in zone 3.... Brrrrrrrrrr. My Sumatras do just fine. I have a poultry base heater for their water, 4" roosts and my coop is an old concrete block, draft-free building. I add a little extra corn-based scratch to their diet in the evenings but that's about it. We had sustained -20F this last winter and the only bird I lost was a barred rock hen.

Good luck!

Ps...the fence pictured is 8' tall and I still had to clip my Sumatras wings! Boy can they fly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom