Supplemental protein - cooked or raw?

robomb

Songster
9 Years
Aug 15, 2011
Northern Vermont
I usually throw my chickens some extra protein every now and then, but I wondered how other people do it (and if they do it)? I know protein can help to reduce fighting and pecking, and I also have a couple of girls who are molting. I recently ground a bunch of meat for my dog and cat (they're both on a raw diet) and it occured to me I could give some to the chickens too! Not sure whether to give it raw or cook it - it's like ground hamburger

I personally would never give raw meat but I have seen plenty of people who do.
I think it is just a personal preference.

Last edited:
I usually throw my chickens some extra protein every now and then, but I wondered how other people do it (and if they do it)? I know protein can help to reduce fighting and pecking, and I also have a couple of girls who are molting. I recently ground a bunch of meat for my dog and cat (they're both on a raw diet) and it occured to me I could give some to the chickens too! Not sure whether to give it raw or cook it - it's like ground hamburger
I don't supplement added protein. I just limit scratch grains or bird seed the only treats I offer.
They do catch bugs, mostly moths in their large pen.
I let them free range 2 hours before sunset daily, weather permitting. They like to forage through dry leaves, 20170512_192316.jpg , and under bushes and shrubs, 20170509_174300.jpg , I'm sure they find plenty of protein, especially after a rain shower. GC

Last edited:
We have local distribution center that sells soy beans for 22 bucks for a 50# bag. I sometimes crock pot a bunch and feed them as a treat the next day. 48% protein and hydrates them as well.

I don't supplement added protein. I just limit scratch grains or bird seed the only treats I offer.
They do catch bugs, mostly moths in their large pen.
I let them free range 2 hours before sunset daily, weather permitting. They like to forage through dry leaves,View attachment 1069304, and under bushes and shrubs,View attachment 1069308, I'm sure they find plenty of protein, especially after a rain shower. GC
I wish I had the space to let my girls free-range. My dog eats chicken poop, and my yard is less than 1/4 acre. I've also just replenished my flock after THREE dog attacks in 4 months! Damn dog (neighbor's) killed 12 chickens. So not only am I reluctant to let them out, but I really don't have space. I give them meal worms, fresh sprouts, lots of berries, etc., but since the 6 new girls only arrived about 4 weeks ago, I am trying to avoid serious chicken wars. They have only been integrated for the past 2 weeks, and all is well, but my 2 existing hens still like to chest bump and peck to show who's boss. Oh Chickens. You're so entertaining. I love you all!!

I wish I had the space to let my girls free-range. My dog eats chicken poop, and my yard is less than 1/4 acre. I've also just replenished my flock after THREE dog attacks in 4 months! Damn dog (neighbor's) killed 12 chickens. So not only am I reluctant to let them out, but I really don't have space. I give them meal worms, fresh sprouts, lots of berries, etc., but since the 6 new girls only arrived about 4 weeks ago, I am trying to avoid serious chicken wars. They have only been integrated for the past 2 weeks, and all is well, but my 2 existing hens still like to chest bump and peck to show who's boss. Oh Chickens. You're so entertaining. I love you all!!
So sorry for your loss.
We all have different situations to deal with and have to do things differently, from others.
So each of us do what we do to make our girls happy, and that's what matters. GC

I also feed my dog and cats raw. Sometimes I give my chickens meal worms or black oil sunflower seeds. Occasionally I will toss a little bit of raw meat out to them. Not very often.

I have a different opinion on this raw meat issue (too many microbiology, etc classes!). There's good data out there about pets fed raw meat diets being much more likely to carry Salmonella and other not good infections. My chickens have to catch their own raw meat, they get nothing from the grocery store! Mary

Back
Top Bottom