Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Hi There, My latest chicks from Ebay eggs ( 3/11 eggs hatched) are four weeks old. I'm thinking two pullets and a possible cockerel but not positive. What do you guys think?

1#

I now have 7 SFH from 4 bloodlines..lol. Not the best hatch rate with those eBay eggs, but It's been fun. Of the older bunch I have 3 cockerels and 2 pullets..of course..haha!

At what age to SFH usually start to lay. I have a pullet from a New Years Day hatch that I am thinking should start laying soon, 7 months of waiting for eggs is driving me nuts.
My pullet from a NYD hatch started laying about 2 weeks ago, just before a raccoon got her.
hit.gif

Mine typically are about 5 1/2 mo
This is about what I was thinking. Anyone have any ideas why my little girl might not be laying yet? Heat? stress? diet?

She has lived in the same place since I brought her home 6 months ago. I have been feeding her free choice crumbles and fermented feed, plus what ever she can snag (she caught a fly out of the air a few days ago). She has access to free choice shells. For almost a month she has been testing out the nesting boxes, but no eggs yet. She just seems to a little out of sync with what I am used to with chickens and laying.

This is about what I was thinking.  Anyone have any ideas why my little girl might not be laying yet?  Heat? stress? diet?

She has lived in the same place since I brought her home 6 months ago.  I have been feeding her free choice crumbles and fermented feed, plus what ever she can snag (she caught a fly out of the air a few days ago).  She has access to free choice shells.  For almost a month she has been testing out the nesting boxes, but no eggs yet.  She just seems to a little out of sync with what I am used to with chickens and laying.

Maybe it is the heat. Mine that started laying at 5 1/2 months were born either in March or April or in August so in both cases when they started laying it was cool. My adult flock which will turn a year old in late August had been laying lots of eggs until a week or so ago and now it has dropped down considerably. They aren't molting yet so I figure it's the high east Texas humidity and heat. And wouldn't you know it, had a guy contact me yesterday wanting a bunch of hatching eggs! Lol

I so wish I could show a picture but my phone won't let me. I just got me a new roo from Cathie Sue here in Okla. He is GORGEOUS! I found my cockerel has a sprig on his comb starting to rear it's ugly head. I also believe he has split wing but I'm not 100% sure. He's 5 mo old and at the joint he has a feather that's only a few inches long on both wings. Is that still considered split wing? I think I need to just find a replacement for him (he's crested and I would like one other roo that's crested as well.).

Last edited:
well, I just hatched my first chicks from the youngest pen. a son of Leigh's Blue (also named Blue) with a mille girl and a Berta daughter (I think) also from Leigh's lines...

got this unusual little one, that I think may end up being a snoleopard possibly. the reds coming in are more buff than anything else.

at first I thought splash? but with blue and black marked parents, that's not an option.

I decided not to put this one with the broody, but wanted to keep an eye on him/her as (s)he grows up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom