Sweet PDZ?

I just got my first batch of chicks (ever!) earlier this week (2 each of Buff Orpingtons, Jersey Giants, and Black Laced and Golden Laced Wyandottes) and am thinking I really need to take a run to Rural King this afternoon... Right now, the babies are in the spare bedroom because the weather here in Ohio is so crazy, but they'll be moving to the basement this afternoon. :)

Attachments

• IMG_5216.JPG
    IMG_5216.JPG
    418.6 KB · Views: 10
For everyone not using a poop board with sweet PDZ, you should really try it. You will be amazed about the amount of waste you save and the coop will smell nice a fresh. I also use the granular form with a little play sand mixed in, works great.

I am using sand under my roosts and have sprinkled PDZ on top. It still smells in there. What is your sand to PDZ ratio?

I am using sand under my roosts and have sprinkled PDZ on top. It still smells in there. What is your sand to PDZ ratio?
I started using sand mixed with PDZ ~4:1.
But ended up(long story) going to straight PDZ ~1/8" deep,
adding some as needed,
but I sift the entire poop board contents daily.
Might want to look at your ventilation too.

699A255D-6BFD-4A12-A3E6-772EABFBFA06.jpeg
14523B69-BA12-49D5-9CB3-2E620D5A80DB.jpeg
I started using sand mixed with PDZ ~4:1.
But ended up(long story) going to straight PDZ ~1/8" deep,
adding some as needed,
but I sift the entire poop board contents daily.
Might want to look at your ventilation too.

We received our new (bigger) coop a couple of weeks ago. I have an area under the roosts that is sand and PDZ, not quite 4:1 - I’ll need to mix in more PDZ. Next I time I go to TSC I’ll get more PDZ (it’s about 45 min away). I have been sifting it every day - works well! The other area of the coop is pine shavings that I try to sift thru and will replace every 2 weeks or so. We will be adding more ventilation up top now that we have our final setup. We do have the gable end vents at the peak on both ends of the enclosed area. They are approx 15”x6” each

The run area is 7’x18’ - and mostly covered (see pic) - grass is pretty much gone now. Recommendations on what to put in the run area to keep the poop under control? Raking it is barely working! Starting to stink in there! And they have poop on their feet (that freaks me out!).

Working on more roosts in the pen (have a swing that is not in this photo) - they aren’t too keen on it because it moves. Eventually we’ll have a fenced in area around this coop for them to get out - but that will probably be a spring project unless we get some decent (rain free) weather here in S.E. PA.

View attachment 1632766 View attachment 1632765

We received our new (bigger) coop a couple of weeks ago. I have an area under the roosts that is sand and PDZ, not quite 4:1 - I’ll need to mix in more PDZ. Next I time I go to TSC I’ll get more PDZ (it’s about 45 min away). I have been sifting it every day - works well! The other area of the coop is pine shavings that I try to sift thru and will replace every 2 weeks or so. We will be adding more ventilation up top now that we have our final setup. We do have the gable end vents at the peak on both ends of the enclosed area. They are approx 15”x6” each

The run area is 7’x18’ - and mostly covered (see pic) - grass is pretty much gone now. Recommendations on what to put in the run area to keep the poop under control? Raking it is barely working! Starting to stink in there! And they have poop on their feet (that freaks me out!).

Working on more roosts in the pen (have a swing that is not in this photo) - they aren’t too keen on it because it moves. Eventually we’ll have a fenced in area around this coop for them to get out - but that will probably be a spring project unless we get some decent (rain free) weather here in S.E. PA.
Shoot - I think I works be comfy in that coop! Niiiiiice....

View attachment 1632766 View attachment 1632765

Gorgeous coop and run!
Would love to see pics of inside too.

Does that cupola actually 'work'...or just decorative?
Could put larger vent at gable under run roof.
But why it stinks I dunno....mine usually doesn't unless there's been a fresh cecal dropped.

In run aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO. Other stuff can be added but the wood does the best and biggest job and lasts the longest. Hard to find those this time of year. Garden center might have some uncolored and untreated mulch chunks that would stand in nicely. You could just toss some straw and pine shavings down, not too much of either one at once, should reduce the odor some until you get some bigger stuff.

Better get used to poop on feet, it's pretty much inevitable IME.

Gorgeous coop and run!
Would love to see pics of inside too.

Does that cupola actually 'work'...or just decorative?
Could put larger vent at gable under run roof.
But why it stinks I dunno....mine usually doesn't unless there's been a fresh cecal dropped.

In run aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO. Other stuff can be added but the wood does the best and biggest job and lasts the longest. Hard to find those this time of year. Garden center might have some uncolored and untreated mulch chunks that would stand in nicely. You could just toss some straw and pine shavings down, not too much of either one at once, should reduce the odor some until you get some bigger stuff.

Better get used to poop on feet, it's pretty much inevitable IME.

The cupola is decorative, but I think we might be able to make it real (when it gets warm and/or isn’t raining - LOL). We’re going to add more ventilation, maybe along with upper part of the walls where they meet the roof - or into the enclosed pen area (that would probably be the easiest) - we can cut a big hole and put hardware cloth over it. Thinking about a little shelf under it to put a fan to blow air in or out during the summer months.

I’ll try to find those wood chips, not sure what I can find this time of year. My neighbor is a landscaper - i’ll try to get something from him.

As for the poop on the feet ... still ‘ewww’! ;)

As for the poop on the feet ... still ‘ewww’! ;)
I know, right!?
I swear sometimes they drop one and turn right around and step in it.
As long as you're not a chicken cuddler, it's really not an issue...tho they can track it into the nests, and then poopy eggs.

I know, right!?
I swear sometimes they drop one and turn right around and step in it.
As long as you're not a chicken cuddler, it's really not an issue...tho they can track it into the nests, and then poopy eggs.

Well then, that’s a problem! I actually am a chicken cuddler!!! I am constantly cleaning my jacket, they love to get on my back, arms and shoulders!

Well then, that’s a problem! I actually am a chicken cuddler!!! I am constantly cleaning my jacket, they love to get on my back, arms and shoulders!
I don't let them jump on me, it's cute when they are tiny but can be eye damaging when they get big, plus it's just not polite.....and a bad habit IMO.

Back
Top Bottom