Sweet PDZ?

love it..it's all I use in the bottom of my coop, super easy to clean with a cat litter scoop and no icky smell from the poop.win win..

Last edited:
Quote:

Quote: DE's only PROVEN uses are as a mechanical insecticide, and a moisture absorber.

It will NOT do many of the things people claim it will.
It's pretty much just powdered rock, and chemically the same thing as sand.

Anyone use it instead of shavings? i scoop my coop daily(LOL) so i don't need a board under their roost but i am wondering is this would make bedding or too cold for winter usage.

I have been using a combination of sweet PDZ, DE, and sand on my poopboards (actually poop trays). I scoop daily and have no smell at all in my coop. For the winter this year I have changed from pine chips to the Hi Fiber Gold forage. See above for link to article. I am using it in my main coop on the floor with DE & sweet PDZ sprinkled under and through it. I am also trying it in one of my broody coops where I have a hen with 3 four week old chicks. I had tried pine chips but they were eating them. We had our first snow last night with temps in the 20's all my chickens seemed happy with their bedding.:D

Last edited:
Wonderful stuff!!!!!!!! I learned about it a couple years back on this website. When I went to my local feed store to ask for it, they were surprised as if they had never thought of using it with hens. I called the company and told the customer service rep what I was using it for and it wasn't more than a number of months after they had some info on their webpage how it was great to use with hens.

Myself, I have a thick layer of sand (Home Depot, playground kind of sand for kids, so it is safe) in the bottom of my coop and in the indoor, covered run (don't use it on the outside part of the run) and mix some of the sweet PDZ into the sand. The sand is easy to scoop out and the sweet pdz eliminates odors in-between scoopings (I scoop about ever other day or two). I also use the sweet pdz on the running boards on the upper floor of my coop. Makes clean-up a breeze without odors...! :)

I've used sweet pdz and de from the very begining under the roosts. I even made a slide out poop drawer so clean up is a breeze. There is NO smell inside the coop except the smell of pine shaving from the nest boxes. I want to introduce my neighbor to the stuff as he has two dogs in his backyard (we share a slump block wall) that they NEVER clean up after. The smell from two dogs is about a million times worse than all of my chickens combined! Poor things, I actually feel sorry for them as their owners are pretty neglectfull.

Back
Top Bottom