Sweet PDZ?

Pics
If you want to find your nearest retail outlet, or want to find a distributor for your local feed store to special order it for you, you can call the company at 800-367-1534. They are in Spokane, WA, so they're on PST.

Quote:
You probably could, but it would be expensive to use that way unless your coop is tiny. Also, you would lose the insulation that shavings provide, and it would not be as soft for the birds to jump down off their roost (or if you have a really geriatric rooster like mine, softness on the floor is important since he doesn't perch any more, and he needs a soft bed to be comfortable now). I also do not have a poop board, just the bottom of my coop. I keep 8-12 inches of shavings on the floor, and sprinkle a thin layer of PDZ over the top of the shavings daily, or every other day. I pick up the big poops daily, but don't worry about the little bits because they dry out almost immediately in the shavings, and the PDZ absorbs any remaining moisture and all odor. If I'm in a hurry and can't clean out the line of poop under the roosts, I quickly sprinkle a bit of PDZ on the poop to prevent any ammonia buildup, then clean it out when I have time. So what I do isn't quite a clean as the poop trays, and it's not quite the same as the deep litter method, but it works well for me. I don't have to put in poop trays, which I would love to do but wouldn't work well with my coop design, and I can still have the very deep bedding that the old rooster needs without it smelling horrible, or him sleeping in a week's worth of poop as I'm waiting for it to compost.

Can you put the droppings with the PDZ on them into a compost pile?
I've been wondering the effects of pdz on the soil - Been using it on trays for a long time now thanks to TheSpoiledChicksn
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/621363/poop-board-convert-warning-graphic-gross-poop-pictures

It sounds like PDZ can retain soil moisture for slow release, make the ammonia it absorbs available for plants - and in general is a positive influence on your soil! So I would say that it would be a good thing in the compost pile.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070614220050AAj0XPI

Seems like it can also be obtained at PetCo -did he say?
And for people in Canada it is called Stall boy or Stable Boy -- It sure makes poop clean up a snap!

How many bags to fill the full coop (5'X7') a good few inches? Thrilled to learn about this method- I was hoping for an easy scoop way of doing things!

Is there a reason I should use shavings as well? I was just going to use this.

How many bags to fill the full coop (5'X7') a good few inches? Thrilled to learn about this method- I was hoping for an easy scoop way of doing things!

About 10-15 of the 25# bags, depending on your definition of "a good few inches."

The main reason to use shavings is if there are financial concerns, or if you want the bottom of your coop to have some padding or insulation. See the post just 2 before yours.

Wood shavings are good in the nesting boxes. I would think about putting the pdz on just poop trays...and using shavings on the rest of the floor--- JMO

Back
Top Bottom