Sweet PDZ?

Pics
Sweet PDZ is a horse stall refresher that, in gravel form, resembles cat litter but it smells better. It's 100% safe for use with chickens (I use it!). I have a poop shelf under my roosts in the coop and it's filled with Sweet PDZ. I scoop it every few days with a cat litter scoop and it keeps allllll that crazy night poop out of the coop and off the floor. It's a very clean way of doing things and I have yet to replace or add to my shavings in the coop in 21 weeks of them living there. PM me if you want more info or have questions.
Ok, I got some at my feed store and it is like flour?? Can I use?

It should be more like very coarse sand(the granulated type of PDZ)....not like flour(the powdered type of PDZ).
Both will work but the granulated is MUCH less dusty, which can be a respiratory hazard.

I bought my first bag of PDZ today, sort of my look and see purchase. I have never used it prior. I have yet to build my poop board and was wondering if someone could let me know how deep to set up the PDZ on the poop board? Just a trace, or an inch or more? I am building this on faith in BYC members. I have never seen one, nor PDZ prior to today. It is like $15 a 40 pound sack, and I need to order it in, so if I can find out how deep to use it, I can figure my startup needs.

Thank you to those whom have blazed this path for me to follow. It is just wonderful to have insight into things yet unseen. Very cool.

Thanks BYC folks,

RJ

I bought my first bag of PDZ today, sort of my look and see purchase. I have never used it prior. I have yet to build my poop board and was wondering if someone could let me know how deep to set up the PDZ on the poop board? Just a trace, or an inch or more? I am building this on faith in BYC members. I have never seen one, nor PDZ prior to today. It is like $15 a 40 pound sack, and I need to order it in, so if I can find out how deep to use it, I can figure my startup needs.

Thank you to those whom have blazed this path for me to follow. It is just wonderful to have insight into things yet unseen. Very cool.

Thanks BYC folks,

RJ
I have mine about 1/2" deep on the boards, it's plenty to coat the poops from sticking to the board and absorb the ammonia odors...any deeper and they tend to scratch it off all over the place.

I usually mix some coarse clean sand at a ratio of about 3 or 4 to 1 with PDZ to save on the cost of the PDZ.

Click on 'My Coop' under my username and you can see mine when first built.

@aart,

Yes, thank you, I was able to follow your link and that is what I wished to see. Doing things on 'faith' is a bit tricky at times… Pictures make somethings much easier to understand.

Thank you for your time and the link,

RJ

Thanks BYC folks,

RJ
Not sure if you have seen this thread by TheSpoiledChicken

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/621363/poop-board-convert-warning-graphic-gross-poop-pictures

she does an excellent job of explaining, has picts etc. Subsequently answers zillions of questions on the subject.

@ChicKat

Hey, thank you for the link, that was and is, I am still reading it, very helpful. Nice of you to take the time to point me where I wanted to go…

Thanks again,

RJ
your welcome RJ...it was that link that got me started using it...and like so many others, I won't turn back. It gets to the point where people keep asking her the same questions over and over -- it's a long link -- I stopped reading 165 posts ago or so... Meanwhile there is some good information in there. Hats off to TheSpoiledChicken...
bow.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom