Sweet PDZ?

Pics
So my poop board is 4ft x 2ft. I'll just use the sweet PDZ on that alone. Then on the floor of the coop and run I'll mix a bit in with the sand. I think that's what I have been reading. Thank you!

Good morning!

I want to add Sweet PDZ to our poop boards. Do I use it alone or should I mix it with sand to make it go further? I will be putting sand in our run as well and just plan to mix a bit in ... I believe I am understanding that correctly. Can someone please confirm that?? :)
I only go 1/2" deep on roost board, any deeper and they just fling it all over 'dust bathing' in it....I mix with Quickcrete brand Fine, bagged sand...it's washed, kiln dried, 3:1, sand:pDZ

Last edited:
I add it to my run which is dirt and mix it in because I was getting a sour milk smell and now I have no smell at all

I am really interested in hearing if PDZ would be beneficial in the chicken pen. We have been getting a lot of rain here too, and it is impossible to keep my chicken pen dry. I live in an area that can't have chickens. I've had mine for a couple of years, but this is the worst it has been for smell. I don't get any smell much in the coop. By the way, I only have two chickens left. The pen is 4 feet by 8 feet and smells like a hog lot. I have heard a lot about PDZ or DE in the coop but not the pen. Any help is greatly appreciated. God Bless

I just read "chicken chick" who has a covered run/yard for her chickens and she uses construction grade sand, the problem being ... Wetness! I think, but am not 100% on this that, when wet she gently tills it up (Mantis type teeny tiller) dirt, sand and all. Seems like a lot of work. Seems to me that sweet PDZ in the pen would get $$$$. Here it's been raining a lot, so mine stay under the coop a lot where it's dry and just come out from time to time. I don't have standing water so I think they're OK. I can't imagine why a pen as small as yours is would smell so badly. That is odd, simply for wetness. I'll be interested in what others say.

I only go 1/2" deep on roost board, any deeper and they just fling it all over 'dust bathing' in it....I mix with Quickcrete brand Fine, bagged sand...it's washed, kiln dried,  3:1, sand:pDZ

I inadvertantly got powder form PDZ from my feed store. I read here that it might cause respiratory problems. Since they really don't walk through the poop Board/PDZ that much and don't flap around up there much .... How much do I need to worry??? Should I bite the bullet and get some granular to mix in with it?

Ya know how I said they don't flap around that much on the roost, getting to the roost? What a dummy I am!!! How do they get to/off the roost? Flap fly! Grrr! What a cloud of PDZ after they came in and got on and off the roost! Gotta do something and how. Suggestions?

I use the pdz that looks like sand or cat litter. That's all I saw at TSC. I get a little dust from it, but haven't seen or used the powder. Me personally I would mix it with some play sand if the powder makes that much dust. But I am a newbie with my first flock. I absolutely love PDZ!

what's a poop board? I use child's rake to rake out large chunks 1x/wk and shavings--coop has wood and some wire strips;other coop has cheap --resembles fibreboard--and I do same--nothing on either one is really "removable"
thnx

Back
Top Bottom