TEACHERS: What do/don't you want for Christmas?

last year my dd's 1st grade teacher and her kindergarden teacher from the year before got married in November - so for Christmas we got them a disney Cinderella and Prince Charming ornament with their names on it - before the day was over every teacher in school had been shown the ornament by the receipent and my dd and myself (I was volunteering in the school) had received numerous compliments and ooohs and aaahhhs.

My ds 4th grade teacher is a Mickey Mouse fanatic, so she got the newest Mickey Mouse ornament . (when my oldest dd had same teacher in 4th grade we did the same thing that year too)

I got both items on sale off the disney website and paid less than $20 for both.

I have done ornaments, food, gift certificates, etc.- basically I get whatever strikes my fancy for each teacher depending on them. I have a strict $10 or less per teacher limit because with 3 kids it can get expensive quick. As the kids get older it get impratical to give gifts because they generally have several teachers and I don't always know them as well as the elementary school teachers but if they have a favorite teacher I try to let them get something for that teacher.

Being a former teacher and a mother I've seen both sides.

Gifts are not required, they should be not requested. Not just for teachers but for ANYONE. When gifts are given it is not supposed to be about who spent more, who got the larger present or out of obligation. Gifts at any time of year are supposed to be a thoughtful recognition of what that person means to your life.

That said, if you choose to give your child's teacher a gift it is because you want to let them know you appreciate them. In our school district, most families give gifts at the holidays and again at the end of the year. Personally, I choose to have my children give something homemade at the holidays (usually a winter ornament/decoration and cookies/breads) and at the end of the year contribute $5 or less to a class gift card that the teacher can spend on herself or the classroom (with 25-28 students it adds up). Have there been years when I have done neither as I did not appreciate the teacher? Definitely. Have there been teachers I've done a bit more for as they went above and beyond? Absolutely.

Okay, I'll give back the soap box now. Let the season of giving (or not) begin.
roll.png

oh and one more thing My sister is a teacher (1st grade anyway the gift she liked the least was one given from all the parents at the end of the year. That year she hasd some well off parents and they all had put $ together to buy the gift. It was a very ugly necklase that we convinced her to return as she would never wear it. It was well over a $100 she was able to buy a really nice one with the money that she wears a lot. It was easily the most expensive gift she had ever gotten, and will tell you that she preffers the hand made stuff that costs nothing much better.
big_smile.png

Really it is the thought that counts not the money spent.

Our children go to a charter school with mandatory parent volunteer time, and my mother is a teacher, so I know how many, many extra hours our teachers put in for our kids, especially over the summer.

We give fudge to our teachers and the kids make cards in addition to our family holiday card. Because my kids are close in age and each teacher has them for two years, we know our teachers well and they all really look forward to the fudge, and my kids help make it.

If someone doesn't have time to make goodies (or a teacher doesn't want them) I think a hand made card or picture by the child is a thoughtful gift.

hide.gif
Whoops, I'm sorry for causing offense with my post.
hide.gif

Please let me clarify. I don't think everyone MUST buy their teachers gifts. The best ones don't expect them. But they're the ones who deserve the most appreciation. And I am not at all disparaging thrift stores as good places to find bargains on worthwhile merchandise. I did not mean to imply that teachers expected expensive gifts bought at high-end retail stores and would distain anything less.

We know in giving that it's the THOUGHT that counts. So I just wanted to get us thinking now about what -- if ANYthing -- to give to our teachers. I wanted to solicit imput from the teachers on this forum to share their perspective, and also to hear from parents of students about gifts they've given that were appreciated. Otherwise, you may find yourself at the thrift store late in December grousing at your kid "Oh, just grab something & let's go! Look, here's a World's Greatest Teacher mug, that will have to do!" And if you're back at that thrift store in January you may find that same mug back on the shelf for sale again.

I know because I shop often at the thrift stores. I've witnessed these transactions. And seen the genuine schlock on the shelves, along with the real treasures to be found there. There's nothing wrong with buying gifts at the thrift store, but I have issues with gifts bought with a "Who cares? Any old junk will do" kind of attitude.

I hope I can explain it well. I am just trying to encourage more thought, not necessarily more money, to be put into showing your teachers appreciation at the holidays. Finances are tighter than ever this year, at my home & probably at yours too. Most of us are having to trim down our gift lists and having to buy less for fewer people. Perhaps it will help to know that a teacher you want to bless would rather have classroom supplies, or some time volunteered, or a hand-made note of appreciation, or a letter sent to their principal, than anything else you could buy.

hide.gif
Again, please forgive the offense, that was not my intent at all...
hide.gif

What would thrill me? Something for the kids of course. A ream of copy paper, some pretty post-its, I secretly love pens with rainbow ink, good paintbrushes, they come in a pack of 25 for $3 at walmart, a gift card to a bookstore so I could add to the class library. One year I had parents join up and buy us a weekend at a B&B up the mountain, a complete shock, and it was lovely, but a bit over the top.

My other favorite hobby (besides chickens) is rubber stamping and card making and I sell my cards. My kids' teachers get an assortment of greeting cards, money-wise the cost is small, but it is time consuming, but I enjoy it. It seems to get a lot of positive reviews.
smile.png

100_6709.jpg

100_6124.jpg

100_5766.jpg

100_6640.jpg

100_6642.jpg

100_6603.jpg

100_6638.jpg

100_6383.jpg

these were all created by me, but are not my original designs.

When my son was in fifth grade I went in and helped with a quilting class. I cut out muslin squares. Each child decorated a square using fabric paint. I took the squares home and added sashing and a border. I brought the quilt top in along with my quilt frame. The kids had a quilting bee. They spent an afternoon taking turns sitting around the frame talking and tying the quilt with embroidery floss. I took it home again and put a binding on it. It was then displayed at the local community quilt show. Of course the kids came and saw it. At Christmas the entire class gave the quilt to the teacher. My son said that she was bawling and the other 5th grade teacher said she was jealous. It was one big present from all off them. To anybody else, it probably wasn't much to look at, but the teacher and the kids thought it was beautiful. And they got to have an old fashioned quilting bee to make it!

Back
Top Bottom