Tell me everything...

Poultrybreeder

Crowing
Apr 21, 2017
New Mexico
About Mini Nubians! I have worked with the standard breed for a few years now, but I am curious about these guys. Like is their milk richer that a standard Nubian's? Can they breed year round like Nigerian Dwarves?

It really all depends on if the individual goat takes after their Nubian side, or their Nigerian Dwarf side.
The little Mini-Nubian doe that I had was a seasonal breeder like a Nubian, but I don't know if her milk was richer in butterfat content because I never had her on milk test or anything. She was a teensy weensy little thing like a Nigerian Dwarf though.

Mini nubians can be a pretty mixed lot. You have F1 minis, F2, and on down the line. Then when you get into backcrosses and DNA percentages from the ND and Nubian ancestry, you start to see some pretty mixed results. I think the best way to assess potential results is to assess individual animals.
My minis are generally seasonal breeders, and tend not to breed year round. Milk taste and quality vary quite a bit, and so does udder type and milking abilities.

Back
Top Bottom