Tell your 'what the heck was that thing?' scary story

One time I went downhill skiing (it was only my second time) and I really didn't know what I was doing. As I got off the ski lift, I had an overwhelming feeling that I was about to die. I was depressed about it, but didn't know how to get down the mountain without skiing down. Somehow I didn't think about taking the ski lift back down. I resigned myself to skiing down.

I got out of control (even though it was the bunny slope) and was headed for some trees. Very fast. I knew I was about to die.

I tried to no avail to sit down on my skis to fall. I didn't know how to fall.

Suddenly a FORCE knocked me sideways to the right. I actually somersaulted to the right, skis and all!

It didn't hurt at all- I landed in the snow, amazed! I carefully removed my skis and walked down. Never again shall I ski.

I know who saved me.

I've got another one.

I was about to go over a hill, at 50 mph since I wasn't really thinking about watching for things over that hill. It is close to where I live. A slow car was in front of me, so I had to slow down. I was annoyed.

Well, as soon as we got to the top of the hill, there was a man on a tractor RIGHT over the hill going slowly down the road. If that car hadn't been there I might have killed him.

I could go on and on....my whole life filled with things like this.

I don't want to hog the thread- here are three more:

1. I was visiting NYC and was in the subway. There was a man following me- scary looking. I walked faster and faster to get away from him. I turned around and he was gone.

2. I was on a tour in Scandanavia (I think I was in Sweden at the time), visiting a building with the tour group. I walked to the bathroom and there was a man following me. I was afraid but I kept on going. I opened the door and it was filled with women. He left.

3. When we lived in Arkansas, I was at Sam's Club with my DH. My son (this was before our younger son was born) ran out toward the parking lot as traffic was driving by. I thought DH had him, and DH thought I had him. To my horror I saw him running away from me into traffic.

A man appeared- yes - appeared as if out of nowhere with a solomn look on his face and held his hands up. My son stopped and I ran out to him and grabbed him.

The man continued walking into Sam's Club. I then had an overwhelming desire to thank him. I ran after him. He was gone. That was IMPOSSIBLE. I should have been able to find him.

Several stories to share. Just gonna recount them.

One:
When I was around 5 years old, my Mom, Dad, sister and I were visiting some of my Dad's friends in San Mateo County (California). It was a small plot of an acre or so, we were there for some Amateur Radio meet-up or another, with a BBQ and lots of menfolk big talk and ladies in the kitchen. We kids were playing barefoot in the front yard. All the menfolk were drinking beer and standing around the big pit BBQ, spittin' and jawin'. I saw something in the sky and called my Daddy over to tell me what it was: it was a big, slightly tilted cross of light with the "arms" all the same length, not like a church cross. And it was sorta see-through, with a very bright spot where the arms crossed. Hovering. All the men trooped over to where I was standing and pointing.

They stared for a while, very silently, then started murmurring about, "Is it up on that mountain?" "No, it's closer." "No, it's farther away and up higher, not on the horizon." They got quiet again.

And then all but one of the men got into their cars and drove off down the road, after the host went inside the house and got his shotgun. I knew my dad had a gun in our car.... They were gone a long time and came back very solemn, and all the fun was gone. We got in our car and drove home. Daddy didn't have anything to say the whole, long drive home.

Two:
I was 10 years old and it was during a nasty, stormy winter in Oregon, in a little coastal village called Otter Rock. My mom and I were living with her mother. My sister had not joined us when we moved away because she wanted to finish high school in Novato, living with my father. This particular evening, it was not raining. It WAS windy, and clouds scudded across the sky. I had my own little room, a "Chart House" separate from the house, and I went out to my room to get a library book and bring it back to the house to read by the fire crackling in the fireplace. I stepped outside and there was an eerie, flickering blue glow along all the eaves of the house and along the clothesline in the yard.

My grandmother said it was Saint Elmo's Fire. I knew it was an electrical discharge, because I ... ahem.... was a precocious child with a very scientific bent. It was lovely, but eerie, and silent. No crackling sound. But I didn't want to be outside in it!

Three:
I was 13 years old, living with my father and step-mother after my mother's death, in Pacific Grove (California). It was a really rainy, windy night. Daddy (yeah, I still called him that, after a 3 year hiatus) was adding some tap water to his glass of scotch, standing over the kitchen sink. We had a short conversation, I don't remember what about, when I saw something out the window, over the waters of Monterey Bay.

We both watched it for a while: a circular, rotating, wagon-wheel of light, with different colored lights on parts of it, rising out of the choppy water. It rose, then turned on its axis, so it was no longer round, but we were looking at the edge of the "wheel." And then it was just GONE. Like, it went thataway - FAST. My dad grabbed the phone and called the Monterey Airport (confidential) telephone number and talked to a buddy of his on duty there. No resolution there, and he added more scotch to his drink, but no more water.

Four:
I was 16, visiting with my older sister at our cousin's farmhouse. Sleeping upstairs in the guest room, sharing a big bed. Cousin George had a little girl from his first marriage, who was home-schooled. His second wife had given birth to his first son about a month or so earlier. HOT summer night in Oregon, near Eugene. VERY hard for me to sleep. Second cousin Kathleen, about 7 years old, came upstairs in the middle of the night and stood at the foot of the bed and said, "Carlanne?" (My sister's name.) She sat up, groggily, and asked what was the matter. "Nothing. Nancy Annette told me to tell you everything's going to be okay. And she isn't worried about Linda any more." Carlanne came WIDE awake and said, "WHAT??" Kathleen repeated what she'd said. "When did she say that?" "A little while ago - she woke me up to tell me to tell you."

Nancy Annette was our mother's name. She hated the middle name Annette and used Anne, instead. In the morning, she had the same story to tell, in front of her father and stepmother, who were as befuddled as were we. She said Nancy Annette was in her bedroom with her, then she left. Kathleen thought she should come up and tell us what she'd said. Our cousin George did not know "Annette" was our mother's real middle name, so he could not have told his little girl some story about her.....

Five:
I was dating a young fella who was far more into me than I was into him. Wait, I mean he was far more interested in me.... LOL... Anyway, we went for a drive down the highway along the coast line south of Carmel (California) to park and neck. I was bored, and kept my eyes open. Over his shoulder, I saw something quite odd, so I focused on it and watched for a while. There was a ball of bright light moving along the power lines from the south towards us. Not really ON the power lines, above it, with a beam pointed down, flickering along it. Oh, I thought, a PG&E helicopter checking transformers or insulators.....

It got closer, but there was no sound. Closer. No sound. None. The "searchlight" beam snapped off about two poles south of the car in which I was necking with that guy. The very bright, big light passed over the car but it was not casting light onto the car, so I pulled away from That Guy to crane my neck to try to see it through the windshield or my side window. He was annoyed. I explained there was this odd light.... and he obliged me by leaning across me to look out and up, too. Nada. And I couldn't see anything any more, either. I didn't want to neck any more and he took me home, aggrieved.

Six:
I was a Correctional Officer, in my early 20s, and worked at Soledad Prison (Correctional Training Facility - yeaaah!). Drove from Monterey to be at work at 5 a.m., about a 45 minute drive. Sometimes I drove over the speed limit, down River Road. One very clear but dark early morning, I happened to see a red light off to right ahead of me, between the road and the Coastal Mountain Ridge. (Not big mountains, just the ones creating the West side of the Salinas Valley.) It moved as I drove, so it wasn't a light ON the sides of the valley. It moved FAST, sort of horizontally, dipping now and then along the rises and dips of the mountains, below the horizon on my side. And just about the time I started to feel creepy about it, it shot vertically upwards and away. Faster than any aircraft should have traveled. Then I felt REALLY creeped out.

Seven:
I was at my computer late one night when a man's dark figure suddenly seemed to be standing just at the corner of my living room. I turned, very startled, hadn't heard a sound, how did he get into my house, who was he? what was going on?? And I could see through a dark area where his body was, but he had a nice face. No sense of animosity. Slender build, the sense of "elderly" about him. And actually a sort of friendly, interested aspect. And then he was gone.

gryeys wrote: "...it shot vertically upwards and away. Faster than any aircraft should have traveled." I've seen something like that. I was waiting for the school bus one morning and just happened to be looking up into the sky. My eyes focused on a white spot that was stationary and then suddenly it shot horizontally away - so fast my eyes could barely track it and it was gone...just like that. It didn't seem scary, more like 'so that's what they look like'...

Out of all the freaky things I've seen, there are three that stick out still quite vividly. As a teenager we used to drive around and go see all the scary stuff, mainly Lick Rd and Buffalo Ridge.

The first one, Lick Rd, had an old three k's house with blood stains on the driveway and stuff... so the story goes. Sometimes when you drive by at night you'll see someone in the big old tree. We drove on by, no one there. The road just stops dead in the middle of a cornfield. Double yellow lines and all, just disappear into this field. Just enough room to turn around, but it wasn't designed that way, road used to go all the way through. Story goes that a bus had crashed and most of the children didn't make it. So you pull to the field gate, flash your lights 3 times, turn the vehicle parallel to the gate, and open all your windows and wait. The first time there was snow on the ground, making things bright and easy to see. You're supposed to see colored lights flickering along the edge of the field, and then two bouncing white lights through the woods behind the field, and then you're supposed to see the kids walking across the field towards you.

So we did all that, and we're waiting. And waiting. All quiet, feeling cold with the windows AND the sunroof open. Then we start hearing foot prints. Small ones. Regular sounding human foot steps a ways off in the field. Crunch, crunch, crunch. Lot's of them. Silent night out, crispy, snow let us know there wasn't anything in that field. We started seeing little lights. Tiny little starlight flickers in blue, purple, pink. Then the guy with us, 3 girls and a guy, he starts screaming asking if we see her. Nope, I sure don't, I'm too busy trying to get the car to leave out of there on ice. Stupid rear wheel drive. I panicked! Threw gravel all over the place and got the heck out of dodge.

So then we head to Buffalo Ridge, nothing ever happens on that road, even though there is a story attached to about every mile of it. One of them, you're supposed to actually get out of the car and walk down this driveway, where a house used to be. Yell "Sarah" down the hill 3 times and she's supposed to yell back. Uh uh, not after what just happened at Lick Rd. So we keep on going, and the one girl kept telling all the stories. As we go over the top of this hill, she was like "Oh! You were supposed to flash your lights at the top of that hill back there, and a guy in a bronco will chase you"

"Yeah, sure, whatever"

I'll be darn if I didn't have a set of square SUV headlights in my rear view mirror shortly after. We didn't have cell phones. No one knew we were there... SO NOT A PRANK. So this SUV gets right up on my tail. I sped up... not knowing what the heck was going on. We're flying down this road, the Bronco or whatever coming up close, dropping back, coming up next to us... but the lights were too bright, couldn't see anything inside. Drop back, flew up on us... totally scary. It went on for so long, I went from scared to ticked off. The road had a split up ahead, I took the left, slammed on the brakes, threw it into reverse. I was going to get that SOB because that totally wasn't cool. Now, no car had continued on that road after I took the split. There is no where to turn around, I slammed on the brakes at the split so I could back out onto Buffalo Ridge again and go the other way. No one there! Road is just unsafe over 50 mph. I booked it, and there wasn't anyone. I was in a BMW 3 series, I would have caught a top heavy SUV in those curves. No driveways, no pull offs... nothing and no one. Didn't have to flash my lights at the top of the highest hill to get chased.

So after this, I met my now husband, and was telling him all this. He demands I take him and his buddies. So we pile into the beemer, and head out. We did Buffalo Ridge first, no one and nothing on that summer's night. No lady in white at the pond, no Sarah yelling from the woods, no crazy bronco driver. Good. So then we head to Lick Rd. This is where I felt the worse feeling of my life.

So we do the whole routine with the light flashing and all that. Get all the windows opened up. Right off we smelled the faint smell of a dead animal. We blamed road kill, even though we were parked on a dead end and it's hard to make road kill in an area like that. But whatever. What else could it have been?

We're sitting there waiting, being all quiet. Since it was summer, it was pitch black out. Crickets chirping and all that. We're waiting on those little blinky lights, and my hand is on the gear shifter ready to go this time, I wasn't being calm and complacent like last time... too fresh in my mind... that crunch-crunch of little feet in the snow.

But we're not seeing anything. Then... I see this mass, WAY bigger than a deer, on the far left of the field. It's moving slow, hunched over, moving in a zig zag pattern towards us. Hard to make it, it was dark, but it was like that thing was darker still. As it got closer, that dead animal smell kept getting stronger and stronger. It wasn't moving in a natural way, nothing zig zags like that. Nothing in the Ohio suburbs is that big and hunched over and that...weird. I want to leave. I've been around some bad stuff before, and that thing was bad. Goose bumps, chills up the spine, out right shivers even though it was a humid 80 degrees out. Everyone of us 4 was looking and trying to see what it was. In unison though, we all were like... We gotta go. Like now. LIKE NOW! It was still some 200 feet away, but that smell of dead animal just got over powering. The crickets had stopped chirping. No noise... no cicadas... nothing. Until my engine roared and I slung gravel all over the place again. Got the heck out of there and I've never been back. No way, no how.

And no, we were not under the influence of anything.

It was worse than when my brother was attacked at a church my mom was "cleansing"... that church had issues and my mom was one of the people you call when you have issues like that. My brother and I, and the pastor's kids, were sent to go play in the woods while the grown ups did their thing. But I guess whatever was there didn't want to leave, and knew the kids were the way to stop the proceedings. We were standing near this tree talking about what game we were going to play, when this branch just pulls itself back, and let's go, smacking my brother right in the face, splitting his forehead open. Almost had taken his eye out. There was so much force in that branch... it was definitely not wind. That and the fact no other branch so much as moved. We got him to the church and I went inside to get the grown ups. Freaky feelings in there but it died out quick. We had to take my brother to the hospital. My mom went back with a vengeance, without us, when the pastor's kids were gone in school too. You didn't mess with her kids no matter what you were.

Oh! And another time, I had gone to see my husband at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland. We were all sitting in a gazebo that faced some woods behind the barracks. There was this guy talking about his pagan beliefs and we got into some healthy debate and talked about ghosts and stuff. He started talking about there being a portal back in the woods, and I was like "No, feels more like indians to me"... he mulled it over and said, yeah Indians. Then I was like "Do you feel the one standing over there in the grass? He said no, maybe... wait... no, no one is there. I was like, bet you $20 there is. I was pretty sure I was talking out of my behind about being able to actually prove it. Everyone was giving us all kinds of grief about the way the conversation was going. But we get up and start walking, I'm pointing the way.

Grass was wet, and you know how grass bends when you step on it, and stands back up again, and shows your foot prints? I saw two foot prints, side by side, a little ways ahead of us. Street light bouncing off it perfect, clear as day. No camera on any of us of course. But I stop everyone, totally tickled pink, and point it out. 3 guys took off at a dead run back to the gazebo. Pagan dude gave me $20. My husband of course goes walking closer and Pagan dude and I both start telling him to get away and leave it alone. We agreed on that point, leave it alone. You never know what exactly it is and what the intentions are. Wasn't there the next night.

I shouldn't have reminded myself of all this right before bed. LOL

One night about 2 years ago, i was going out to feed my horses and chickens. On my way back through the yard coming up from the barn, to my left I saw movement. I turned and saw a VERY tall black stick figured "person" running along the top of my fence line toward the front pasture. i stopped and watched as it disappeared into the darkness and I never saw it again. To this day I have no idea what it was but I know I saw it. It was fast, and jumped almost like it was skipping. It scared me to death but yet I could do nothing but look! Every night I am out feeding up, on my way back up to the house, I get a weird feeling in my spine as if someone were right behind me, but there is never anything there. Paranoia is my guess, but I do wish I knew what that thing was!

Quote:
Ok I lied, I wasn't done with the thread, but after reading this, now I am!! I'm gonna have trouble sleeping tonight. I always dream about what was on my mind from the previous day/night so this is just great. Sigh* :\\ I torture myself lol.

When I was a kid, about 13, I got up to go to the bathroom late one night. It was late, so everyone was in bed. I did my buisness, and right when I opened the bathroom door I saw a "flash". It was human figure , but it was made of light. It moved very quickly, just darted around the corner. I stood there in the bathroom frozen. My heart was pounding! It really startled and scared me. A few moments later finally gathered myself and worked up enough guts to look around the corner of the hall. I saw nothing. So I walked through the hall and into the foyer. I looked towards the kitchen and saw a woman at the sink in a red nightgown. She had her back to me, and looked to be doing the dishes. The woman resembled my step mom from the back, same hair color and length. She never turned around, and I brushed the whole thing off, thining maybe she had rushed by just as I opened the door. Maybe my eyes were just adjusting from the lighted bathroom to the dark hall. Feeing silly, I went back to bed. The next morning I mentioned the "lighted figure" and how it scared me to everyone at breakfast, and said it must have been my step mom. She said she wasn't up doing the dishes last night. Everyone thought I was crazy.

Back
Top Bottom