Thanksgiving Hatchalong

It's day 13 and I candled the eggs because I'll be gone all weekend. I'm down to 20 out of 41. A little frustrating but they were all shipped eggs so I guess that's how it goes. Next candle will be Tuesday evening.

It's day 13 and I candled the eggs because I'll be gone all weekend. I'm down to 20 out of 41. A little frustrating but they were all shipped eggs so I guess that's how it goes. Next candle will be Tuesday evening.

Good luck on the 20 you do have left! It's so exciting all the new hatches!

2 more eggs had pipped a few hours ago but no further progress. This is going to be a very long night. I keep wondering if they are okay in there. I can't tell if they are chirping because the one chick that has completely hatched is chirping a whole lot.

hit.gif
It has been a rough night!
hit.gif

Where to begin... Chick 9 has severe splay-leg and has been scooting around the brooder on its belly with its legs stretched out to the side. It has such a fighting spirit that I splinted the legs in hopes that it will improve. Chick 10 managed to kick out of my hand while being moved to the hatcher and fell on the wood floor. It survived the fall but seemed very disoriented. I gave it a chance to rest, but it is still acting off. It will sit up, look around, kick its legs, flip onto its back and stay there until I turn it back over. (It wasn't acting like that before the fall.) I may have to cull that one, but I am still holding out hope it will improve. Both chicks 11 and 12 zipped sometime during the night but never kicked out. They were still in their shells (dead) this morning. Chick 13 hatched in the earlier morning hours as everyone was getting ready for the day. Unfortunately, the chick seems very weak. It just lays there peeping. 4 eggs remain, but I am not holding out much hope for anymore hatching chicks. This was my largest quail hatch to date, and it isn't going so well here at the end.
hit.gif

While typing the last post chick 10 lost its battle for life. I currently have chick 13 in my hands, because it was starting to flop all over the place with its eyes shut. Not sure what is going on, but I don't like it.

There is a positive note, one of the remaining eggs is half zipped. I am keeping a close eye on it. I don't want to lose that one also.

While typing the last post chick 10 lost its battle for life. I currently have chick 13 in my hands, because it was starting to flop all over the place with its eyes shut. Not sure what is going on, but I don't like it.

There is a positive note, one of the remaining eggs is half zipped. I am keeping a close eye on it. I don't want to lose that one also.

Very sorry for your losses :-( sounds like you are doing everything you can to help them. I hope the others hatch out stronger.

Need advise please:

I still have chicks that are pipped but the first one haved almost 24 hours ago. I have not opened the incubator, but I am getting worried about the one hatched last night not eating or drinking yet. Do I need to leave it alone, or can I remove the dry ones real fast?

Thank you!!

Need advise please:

I still have chicks that are pipped but the first one haved almost 24 hours ago. I have not opened the incubator, but I am getting worried about the one hatched last night not eating or drinking yet. Do I need to leave it alone, or can I remove the dry ones real fast?

Thank you!!

I remove quickly.

Back
Top Bottom