Thanksgiving Hatchalong

Well I managed to get one so far :D

This would be from an EE hen and a Silkie roo lol...

A silkie egger :p

Oh yeah, and foster mom is a Wyandotte....
thats a beautiful wyandotte foster mom!congrats to all that have newly hatched chicks sooo cute

well finally got the lone survivor of hatch before this one together with the 2 new ones from 5 days ago so they are learning her to socialize a little as a chicken, tried to take her out to a hen who wanted to momma her and she wasn't having anything to do with that tried climbing up my leg instead and would not get off, they are supervised visits still but they are finally getting along ok as new chicks only like chickens lol.

heres a pic of her visiting the ones from this hatch

and heres a better one of the 2 from this hatch

Last edited:
Sorry all. I have been offline for several days dealing with non-chicken issues (hard to believe those actually exist, lol).

So, I have an update. The two blue egg chicks are doing great, big and strong. The two olive egg chicks died within the first 24 hours after hatch. The one from the shattered egg was exceptionally weak and I expected to lose that one, but losing both was unexpectedly tragic.

Two days ago three more chicks hatched. Two white leghorns and one cream legbar mix. Another 15 are set for mid December. I had 18 quail eggs in the incubator for hatching next week. I am guessing that my A&M male quail isn't very fertile. Only 6 eggs remain. (All these eggs came from the white quail pen.)

I have joined the new year hatch, but I am sticking with chickens and ducks. After the New Years hatch I will probably be done until Easter. I don't have enough brooder space for the hatches I currently have going. So, we are working on a possible solution in the shed. Although, I am concerned about nightly low temps, even with a heat lamp/heat source. (I am keeping these chicks separate from the flock, for a fresh flock in the spring.)

Sorry all. I have been offline for several days dealing with non-chicken issues (hard to believe those actually exist, lol).

So, I have an update. The two blue egg chicks are doing great, big and strong. The two olive egg chicks died within the first 24 hours after hatch. The one from the shattered egg was exceptionally weak and I expected to lose that one, but losing both was unexpectedly tragic.

Two days ago three more chicks hatched. Two white leghorns and one cream legbar mix. Another 15 are set for mid December. I had 18 quail eggs in the incubator for hatching next week. I am guessing that my A&M male quail isn't very fertile. Only 6 eggs remain. (All these eggs came from the white quail pen.)

I have joined the new year hatch, but I am sticking with chickens and ducks. After the New Years hatch I will probably be done until Easter. I don't have enough brooder space for the hatches I currently have going. So, we are working on a possible solution in the shed. Although, I am concerned about nightly low temps, even with a heat lamp/heat source. (I am keeping these chicks separate from the flock, for a fresh flock in the spring.)

Aw very sorry about your olive egg chicks. Sounds like you've got a good plan for your current sets. Hope these hatch out nice and strong! Are you trying olive eggs again for the New Years hatch a long?

Aw very sorry about your olive egg chicks. Sounds like you've got a good plan for your current sets. Hope these hatch out nice and strong! Are you trying olive eggs again for the New Years hatch a long?

Your sympathy is much appreciated. Yes, I have three olive eggs in the current mid-month hatch and two more set aside for the New Years hatch.

Here is a photo of my Thanksgiving hatchlings in a make do brooder, during a power outage we had this weekend. Had to have them closer to the generator, the brooder in the barn was too far away.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom