Thanksgiving Hatchalong

My two are growing nicely

Only 4 of her 17 eggs hatched. I think her nest was in a very bad place. We had a lot of rain and she was under a bush right at the edge of the house where the rain comes off the roof. So I think the other eggs may have gotten waterlogged. We had tragedy strike. I put her in a pen with her babies on Christmas Eve. Christmas morning we wake up and she's leading them around the yard. I have no idea how she got out. So we spent an hour switching pens around and trying to pen her up. She would just run by the pen making chirping noises and the babies would go through the chicken wire like little ferrets and be loose again. So we gave up. Last night our little mutt house dog was out using the bathroom and the ducks should have been asleep under their mom. He killed three of them before we were able to stop him. He has never done this with our baby chickens... nor the ducks when we got them as babies. So we have one little duck left. I think my backyard is cursed. Because we watched those babies ALL day. Because we had the baby chickens snatched out of the yard last month. Then once we relaxed for the night my own dog did it. Our great pyrenees was conflicted. She alerted us. She didn't want to hurt our own dog because that's her friend but he was being bad. I had to look up what color they were going to turn out. I assumed white with black tails. I think I've seen people say that is the color barred muscovy babies are. So it's going to be interesting raising this little baby. I'm going to try and find another baby duck to raise with it so it won't be alone. I can't trust leaving it with the mom... since she just won't stay in a pen. Escape artist. The babies went right through the wire but the only way the mom could have gotten out was through a gap in the roof of the pen that is smaller than she is.

Back
Top Bottom