The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were some really funny entries for the Candid Picture of Your Flock Contest

We've narrowed it down to 10 Finalists and now it's time to vote for the winner!

The Prize for the winner:
6 Bantam White Rock and 6 Bantam Black Rock hatching eggs

Donated by mbmess2003

To Vote for your Favorite Candid Picture, see here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...the-candid-picture-of-your-flock-contest/0_50

VOTING ENDS on the 6th!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...long-contest-12-cutest-easter-chick-s-contest

Contest #12
2013 Easter Hatch-a-long

"Cutest Easter Chick/s Contest!"

Post your most beautiful New Chick/s Photos!
All fowl accepted, No fake editing or captions!
Chicks in your images MUST be hatched from eggs entered in the 2013 EASTER Hatch-A-Long!
Please don't compromise chicks by opening the incubator for pics!

The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges

2 entries per contestant

ENTRY DEADLINE
April 6th, 2013 Midnight PST

The Prize:
One Dozen “Rarest of the Rare” Dozen Hatching Eggs!
donated by Greenfire Farms

Possible breeds for the winner: Red Orpingtons, Partridge Barthuners, Double Blue Laced Barnevelders, Bielefelders, New Bloodline Cream Legbars, Blue Partridge Brahmas

*Breed choice will be made by Greenfire Farms depending on availability

Thanks!

The incubator actually ran dry over night. I thought the same thing this morning, so I didn't add water. I'm relieved that was correct.

Just tried this. It didn't go according to plan :-(
I didn't have a teacup (we use mugs), so I found something similar (don't know what it's called, but it's not much bigger). It went under the heat plate for a few mins to warm up, then I put the chick in. As soon as it saw the other chicks, it tried to climb out, unsuccessfully at first. After a few mins, it got out. As I picked it up to find something else to put it in, my hand felt wet. It seems to have damaged the sack. It doesn't look too bad. There was a bit of blood and yellow, but it's not gushing out. I put it back in the bator on a towel. Should I try again in the brooder? I don't want it to struggle and damage it any further. It's certainly very perky and running around better than I would have expected for a chick only a few hours old. I couldn't get it to hold still!
Pix would help, but I'm going to say try to tie the excess sac off with thread or dental floss & then snip off the extra sac after it dries out. All of the chicks I have ever had with leaking umbilicals have not made it without tying off the sac.

My hatch numbers: I set 75 eggs (including 8 under my broody hens), 48 made it to lockdown, and 35 hatched

12/16 Wyandotte - 1 infertile, 3 early quitters
7/8 Ameraucana - 1 didn't hatch (broody hen got busy with chicks and abandoned the last egg)
4/4 Frizzle - :)
2/10 Cochin - 6 infertile, 1 early quitter, 1 just didn't hatch
0/8 Muscovy - 2 infertile, 2 late quitters, 4 just didn't hatch
5/7 Welsh Harlequin x Khaki Campbell - 1 rotten egg, 1 didn't hatch
5/10 ASH Mystery Swap eggs - These shipped from New Brunswick, 2 didn't grow, 1 early quitter, 2 didn't hatch
0/12 EE - All of the EEs were infertile

Last edited:

It was in two sort-of parts. The bulge at the top, then a bulge off the bulge. It the lower bulge that popped, you can see it still hanging off the top one. You recommend I tie it all off? This may be a stupid question, but does it matter if the floss is mint flavoured?

It was in two sort-of parts. The bulge at the top, then a bulge off the bulge. It the lower bulge that popped, you can see it still hanging off the top one. You recommend I tie it all off? This may be a stupid question, but does it matter if the floss is mint flavoured?
Keep it separated in the brooder until it dries up more. If you have a Kleenex box, you can cut the top off and put paper towels in the bottom and put the chick in that in the brooder.

The winners of the Natural Egg Photo Contest have been decided by vote!

1st Place Winner - Joyful Promise
LL

2nd Place Winner - johnnyg07
LL

Congratulations!

I have one chick that is constantly trying to jump "out"? Of the brooder? Mainly when I walk over and talk to them then walk away will this chick do it but I'm almost worried! I can hear it constantly jumping and it's body slamming against the brooder(container). I'm guessing this chick is ready for some out of brooder time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom