The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok...I have never shipped or received shipped eggs in the mail, but my family gets lots of packages and I have never received a package that damaged. There is NO excuse for a package to look like that.... Marked fragile or not. I'm so sorry this happened to you. Very disappointing
1f615.png

My thoughts exactly. We do pay pretty dearly for the priority shipping for them to end up like that. The Post master should be apologizing all over the place when a box gets that beat up. I shipped some eggs across the country that not only was the box smashed but it was soaking wet! It wasn't raining. The buyer thought something had been spilled over it. Amazingly, no eggs were broken and a few even hatched. I know what the BYC post about postal insurance says regarding eggs, but I have tried several times to file a claim and it is always denied. One particular time was when the eggs were two weeks late. All they would say to me is that if I wanted perishable items to get there on time, I should have paid the $30. extra for express. No guarantees on time with priority. I suppose like everything else, it depends on who you get to talk to and how far you want to fight it.
Something interesting that a postal employee told me....The biggest priority boxes that we usually use for eggs, especially when double boxing, are for items up to 70lbs. So these boxes get put on the bottom of the stacks with other heavy boxes. I know somebody that because of this, will only ship smaller amounts of eggs, (like 6), at a time using the small, square priority boxes so that they will get stacked on top. (Of course, how many of those fall...)
Just things to ponder....

I have a question about hatching duck eggs along with chicken. I know it can be done but I dry hatch my chickens and I thought I read someone saying you have to have higher humidity for ducks. I need the low down as my daughter wants me to set some duck eggs.
Thanks!
My house is dry because I heat with wood so I can't do dry hatches, but I am hatching ducks and chickens together. I shoot for 55-60% and it seems to be working so far. I've not had any luck here with humidity lower than that, but that could be just because of my location and how very dry my house it.

Right now it's at 21%. I usually just let it do whatever it wants and then when I move to hatcher I up it to 55. Sometimes it's higher.

I incubated ducks with chickens at 40%. The hatcher may need to go a bit higher.

My guess is that the hygrometer you are using is reading low. Have you calibrated or checked it for accuracy?

BYC 2014 Easter Hatch-a-long

Creative Brooder Contest!

I've always have used card board boxes to brood my chicks, as the chicks grew I would tape a couple of boxes together.

When I began to hatch more and more, it became more difficult to keep enough boxes on hand. I would have to go to the store, the sales person would ask me if they could help me. I'd say yes, I need something that comes in a box that will hold about 2 dozen chicks.

Some boxes collected for 2014 hatching.

Please help me and show us your brooders!

Prize : Chocolate Mottled Bantam Cochin hatching eggs

from Chookschick! (Thanks Chookschick!)

It was great ! Probably over 1,200 dogs there. There were 4 different venues taking place at the same time : Obedience, Rally, Agility & Breed. Watched several of my friends compete in Agility, I can't wait til mine are ready to go into the ring. Also a couple of my friends finished their breed Championships !! A huge accomplishment.

My dogs are between levels in Obedience therefore not ready for the ring yet.................................soon tho.
Sounds fun. I've tried conformation ring, haven't done Obedience, Rally or agility, maybe someday. Congratulations to your friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom