The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just when i thought I would stop overfilling my incubators, a friend gave me these- the picture doesn't do them justice- they are amazing
wheaten olive eggers, blue copper olive eggers, wheaten marans, blue copper marans, ameraucana, and a coronation sussex.

Amazing!

I have four 3 and half week Light Brahmas from a local feed store. I got them when they were 3 days old and from the beginning they were very playfully aggressive to each other. They always jump and pose like they are fighting against each other. They are never quiet except when I turn off the light at night and make it super-dark, so there is always a ruckus going on in their brooder.

This is totally different from the Legbar chicks I hatched a week ago. They are very quiet and don't fight much. So is this a character of Brahmas? I thought they were very docile. I am wondering if this behaviour is coming from the hatchery. What do the experts here think?

Today, I found Sapphire, Sleepy and Cutie pecking at the bottom of the beak of the 4th one "Chewie". I saw faint traces of blood there so I took her (who I think might be a he) out of their brooder. Upon examining, it seemed like they were possibly pecking at his spot where the waddles were possibly starting to grow. I put him in a separate box but she was becoming restless and noisy so I had her sit on my keyboard. She cracked me up when she starting following and pecking the mouse pointer all over the screen. So I decided to put candy crush on. Chewie and I both had fun but she still did not want to stay in the box.

Therefore I was left with no choice but to try putting her in the brooder with the Legbars. First I gave it a shot by bringing all 3 of the Legbar chicks out on the dining table with her. To my surprise she did not even pay attention to them until one of them tried to flog her. Even then she just pecked her back gently on her head like a mama-hen would do. So now she/he is in the brooder with 6 day old baby chicks, who probably thinks she is their mama. Poor little Chewie! Here is her pic from 3 days ago followed by today's pics.

So what shall I do? Shall I leave her with the younger chicks even after she heals in a day or two? Shall I put her back with her siblings? or Shall I slowly integrate all of them (the Brahmas) one by one if they keep on behaving?

Before I say goodnight...check out my new badge..I think that's what it's called! 4 years! Really? Wow, time goes by when you are having fun! :)

GOOD NIGHT!

Last edited:
Just when i thought I would stop overfilling my incubators, a friend gave me these- the picture doesn't do them justice- they are amazing
wheaten olive eggers, blue copper olive eggers, wheaten marans, blue copper marans, ameraucana, and a coronation sussex.

Beautiful eggs!!! Do you happen to be friends with Rae?

Ummm....how do I know if one of my girls has gone broody???? I don't know how to tell the difference between "Yep, I'm broody" or "Nope, you just happen to catch me sittin' on the nest the past few times you've come in here".

The lady in question is a Chocolate Orpington Bantam, who just started laying about 3 weeks ago. Her age is approximate...around 7-8 months old.

Ummm....how do I know if one of my girls has gone broody???? I don't know how to tell the difference between "Yep, I'm broody" or "Nope, you just happen to catch me sittin' on the nest the past few times you've come in here".

The lady in question is a Chocolate Orpington Bantam, who just started laying about 3 weeks ago. Her age is approximate...around 7-8 months old.
Check on where she sleeps at night. You could also check temperament, does she get angry if you try to reach under her.

Last edited:
Mine will start off by sitting quite a bit during the day but go to the roost at night. Once they are in "full broody" they will stay on the nest overnight. Some will get off the nest in the morning when I come out to open up the coop. They will be puffed up and make a "leave me be" screech when anything approaches them. After they get a drink or treat, they return to the nest and stay there.
Your flock may vary.....
wink.png

I love my broodies......have two new ones and three that are raising chicks for the EHAL.

Mine will start off by sitting quite a bit during the day but go to the roost at night. Once they are in "full broody" they will stay on the nest overnight. Some will get off the nest in the morning when I come out to open up the coop. They will be puffed up and make a "leave me be" screech when anything approaches them. After they get a drink or treat, they return to the nest and stay there.
Your flock may vary.....
wink.png

I love my broodies......have two new ones and three that are raising chicks for the EHAL.
thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom