The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
A lot of BCM are over melanized; these were from the Easter hatch? so going on 3 months, right? Cockerels generally will feather in copper in the neck by now at least; a lot of my pullets are way too dark and only get a sprinkle of copper around three to four months.

chiqita has a good line of FBCMs that do not over copper. Yes, pullets should have nearly no copper at 3 months. Cockerels should have some my now. You do know the boys from the girls now right? Bye three months you can tell by the comb and wattles.

d_canon.gif

Post pictures that show a side view and a front view that show the combs and wattles.
Oh yes I can def tell my 2 boys from the girls.
big_smile.png
Unless I'm overlooking it I haven't seen any copper developing on any of them but I'll take a couple pictures tomorrow when I get home from work. Maybe I'm just color blind.
tongue2.gif

Quote:
Ok here are a couple pictures. They don't like to pose. lol

My fav boy and girl

Thoughts? I want to keep the boy but I don't have room for another cockerel.
sad.png

:celebrate

I'm sorry, sounds like the aircells are dislodged.  When you candle, do you see an entire airsac moving around or do you see lots of tiny bubbles?

The copper comes later.  My 2 pullets that hatched at Easter are still solid black.

I had two BCMARANS roosters and they went copper after 8 weeks. Great roosters! best first time roosters for anyone!
About the eggs... some had tons of bubbles and others were just moving air sacks.

Quote:
A lot of BCM are over melanized; these were from the Easter hatch? so going on 3 months, right? Cockerels generally will feather in copper in the neck by now at least; a lot of my pullets are way too dark and only get a sprinkle of copper around three to four months.

chiqita has a good line of FBCMs that do not over copper. Yes, pullets should have nearly no copper at 3 months. Cockerels should have some my now. You do know the boys from the girls now right? Bye three months you can tell by the comb and wattles.

d_canon.gif

Post pictures that show a side view and a front view that show the combs and wattles.
Oh yes I can def tell my 2 boys from the girls.
big_smile.png
Unless I'm overlooking it I haven't seen any copper developing on any of them but I'll take a couple pictures tomorrow when I get home from work. Maybe I'm just color blind.
tongue2.gif

Quote:
Ok here are a couple pictures. They don't like to pose. lol

My fav boy and girl

Thoughts? I want to keep the boy but I don't have room for another cockerel.
sad.png

Nice looking juveniles.

Last edited:
im sort of worried....I know its a while from the easter hatch but my hen is incubating 7 eggs and one of them are rather pumicey with not too much movement....could the chick still survive? I have heard pumice eggs don't have a good chance.

im sort of worried....I know its a while from the easter hatch but my hen is incubating 7 eggs and one of them are rather pumicey with not too much movement....could the chick still survive? I have heard pumice eggs don't have a good chance.
Yes, they will still hatch. The Bloom is what holds the moisture and regulates it. That egg has a better chance with the Broody and if it goes bad the Broody will often kick it out of the nest.

I would still give it the sniff test every so often. Depending on the day of incubation, you often do not see much movement.

I hope it hatches!

Yes, they will still hatch. The Bloom is what holds the moisture and regulates it. That egg has a better chance with the Broody and if it goes bad the Broody will often kick it out of the nest.

I would still give it the sniff test every so often. Depending on the day of incubation, you often do not see much movement.

I hope it hatches!

ok! im on day 8 going on 9 today.....should I be worried about the movement? ive been smelling them

ok! im on day 8 going on 9 today.....should I be worried about the movement? ive been smelling them
NO, They do not always move a bunch. Watch the vein and air cell development but under a Broody there is not much you can do.

I have 4-5 eggs set in the incubator. Just saw veins and hopefully veins in another. They are 2 BSP(Black Self Polish), a shipped egg that we didnt think was even going to survive(shocker, the bubbles moving still), And 3 unknown eggs from my coop! They are mixed eggs! One large egg (might be from my polish), a bantam egg (looks like d'uccle), then a random egg from i dont know who... Might be another ancona. Can't tell if any of the 3 are fertile but we put all 3 in there for the fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom