The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night was day 14 candling for me. Some great vein work going on in a lot of them. All remaining 30 are alive and moving; best candling I've had in a while. No quitters. This egg had a little foot that kept pressing on the shell, three little toes visible BUT, naturally, it wouldn't do it for the camera and I didn't want to mess with it for too long outside of the incubator lest I drop it. Still, some cool veins.

What is a quiter? As opposed to a blood ring which I would think is a type of quiter right?

Correct, bloodring is a type of quitter... usually when it is really early, when only some veins have just formed, when it quits the blood settles into a ring around the shell... when it has developed a little further and has mass and then quits, you see an unmoving dark blob in the shell...

So you say bloodring for very early death during development, and quitter when it is an early death that is further developed than just veins...

Make sense? They 're all quitters, it just makes a distinction in the time it quit... :)

Posting this picture again, hoping someone can tell me if this turkey will have trouble hatching with this air cell. It's the only one that developed.

Correct, bloodring is a type of quitter... usually when it is really early, when only some veins have just formed, when it quits the blood settles into a ring around the shell... when it has developed a little further and has mass and then quits, you see an unmoving dark blob in the shell...

So you say bloodring for very early death during development, and quitter when it is an early death that is further developed than just veins...

Make sense? They 're all quitters, it just makes a distinction in the time it quit...
smile.png
Yep! That's what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure. Thanks!

Posting this picture again, hoping someone can tell me if this turkey will have trouble hatching with this air cell. It's the only one that developed.

It might--It is a Saddle air cell and the poult needs to pip inside of it. They often have trouble figuring out where and may pip into a vien when internally pipping since the veins will often be in the wrong place. At lockdown, draw a line around the air cell and hope that the external pip in inside the air cell. A bit off is usually ok because the air cell gets a bunch bigger during the last couple of days. If the chick pips outside by a lot, then you may need to clear goo out of the pip.

hugs.gif

What is a quiter? As opposed to a blood ring which I would think is a type of quiter right?
A quitter is an egg that started developing and the embryo died. A clear is no development at all.

I don't think it will be an issue, but you never know until the end. I'd lay it on it's side for hatching so if it pips the wrong end of the egg, you will know it.

Yes my N/n hen had chicks by my cochin bantam blue roo. They were so cute. A 2 legged predator took the whole pen...of teenagers. ****** me off....

Is that a person or a bird? Either way that is so terrible
rant.gif
(need icon for handcuffs)
Shhhh... I have a broody and I'm going to sneak out and slip more eggs under her....
yippiechickie.gif
OKAY!!!!! LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom