The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the thermostat comment.
What I don't understand is why the thermostat allows a temperature drop when water/humidity is added, I have to go back to fifth grade text book, "I am not smarter than a fifth grader"! The answer must have something to do with wet bulb and evaporation.

edited for fifth grade grammar mistake.
old.gif

Still air with wafer thermostats are notably un reliable with temperature change.

To of my incubators are DIY and have water heater thermostats and computer fans, I drilled the holes to the sensors a little bigger so it gets the true air temp hopefully more accurately. Ive noticed those can spike up to 102 but weirdly only in the middle of the night. They normally stick right at 100. No spikes this time around though and not ure why but not complaining. My newest incubator is the Farm Innovator's 2200, it will go up to 101 but no higher. Hhmmm

To of my incubators are DIY and have water heater thermostats and computer fans, I drilled the holes to the sensors a little bigger so it gets the true air temp hopefully more accurately. Ive noticed those can spike up to 102 but weirdly only in the middle of the night. They normally stick right at 100. No spikes this time around though and not ure why but not complaining. My newest incubator is the Farm Innovator's 2200, it will go up to 101 but no higher. Hhmmm

That is because water heater thermostats to no need to be very sensitive. If you set the temp for a water heater to 100 and it goes between 98 and 102 it does not matter to people using the water. It does matter to hatching egg though.

Incutherm st1000 time?

Okay guys My hatch of the cream legbars is almost over but I took what has hatched out of the bator into brooder. I hope I am right white spot on head = male ?
16 dark heads, 7 spotted heads If I counted them right. Not counting the other 5 in the Dickie Bator their not fuzzy yet...
here is a picture

anybody counting?

these eggs are from my cuckoo marans/crested legbars... The chickens are cuckoo colored with yellow legs both hen and rooster. Only kept 3 2 pullets and a rooster.

Nope. We have an arduino connected to a termometer/hydrometer and programmed to keep the temperature stable. We use a walmart acurite inside to double check the temps.

I see! Very impressive setup an I bet it is very sensitive for temperature stability purposes.

Might I suggest getting a better and more accurate thermometer? It likely does not matter since the main set up is very good but acurite thermometers are not accurate so they do not live up to their name.

I bet you will have a great hatch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom