The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe many states get grants that cover the expenses of the testing until the grant runs out. Last year the state paid for the testing I had done and I paid a few dollars out of pocket for additional non required tests I chose to do just for my own peace of mind. You can call your state agricultural offices and ask them.

yes, I live in NH and they get a federal grant each year to do it, so it's free, just your time and labor of catching all the chickens (and guineas in our case). They do not do ducks. If you want additional testing here, it is around $1.50 per bird for other diseases. The NPIP just tests for the salmonella pullorum.

yes, I live in NH and they get a federal grant each year to do it, so it's free, just your time and labor of catching all the chickens (and guineas in our case). They do not do ducks. If you want additional testing here, it is around $1.50 per bird for other diseases. The NPIP just tests for the salmonella pullorum.

Exactly! They also test turkeys.

Ok, three of nine chick eggs. Two were early quitters, two were mid quitters. My ducks haven't done anything, but last I checked (two days ago) had movement in three, and looked good in another three. I want my baby duckies! I really hope at least a couple hatch. When I set them I didn't know they had been refrigerated. I never expected them to go at all. And most didn't. But to go so far and still not know is killing me. I'll give them a look tonight and all fingers crossed!

I still havent seeb anything from the 2 blue eggs...no movement and no noises. I just candled and water candled and nothing. What should i do? They are on day 23. One of them internally pipped saturday.

My one serama egg is the same. On day 21 today. The other egg is peeping rocking and internally pipped.

I believe many states get grants that cover the expenses of the testing until the grant runs out. Last year the state paid for the testing I had done and I paid a few dollars out of pocket for additional non required tests I chose to do just for my own peace of mind. You can call your state agricultural offices and ask them.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but the Washington state site I looked at says $85 an hour, and $1-2 a bird, + $10 administration fee...

Washington state makes everything hard...it's $30 a year if you want to sell your eggs offsite away from your home...if you want to sellbaked goods/home made food/preserves at a farmers market you have to have a food handlers permit and rent space from a commercial kitchen, if you can tomato products to sell you have to do that and take like an 8 hour class that they only offer once a year in one city.... Bleh...the less I have to jump through their hoops the better...

Get it into a zip lock bag--that ooze can be full of toxic bacteria.

You have what is called a "weeper". I also had one in my incubator. I took the entire egg tray and put it in my kitchen sink, garbage disposer side, and filled it with water. The bad egg floated off the tray, which I then removed. Faucet on, I unplugged the drain, turned on the disposer, and bye bye bad egg, with no smell escaping. The last thing you want to do is break that shell. Rotten eggs smell horrid.

Get it into a zip lock bag--that ooze can be full of toxic bacteria.

Thanks all. I put on surgical gloves. Took the whole incubator outside just in case, covered my gloved hand with another plastic bag. It has oozed from multiple spots. I am surprised it did not explode and I am lucky it was in my low-cost incubator. Anyways put it in a ziplock and threw away in a large dumpster in the alley.

Candled the remaining 4 eggs. Two of them had some liquefaction on top of the embryo so I presumed they quit sometime around lockdown. Other two I did a float test on but was inconclusive. They were floating on around 15% above water but there was no movement/wiggling. So I have randomly picked 1 of the 2 to give another chance for a day. I really don't see any benefit to doing a float test unless the chick is wiggly which you can feel anyways in your hands.

Apart of that my hatch is over! I will probably give up on the last one as well soon.

I still don't have a final count but for sure there are 3!

I am a bit perplexed: I set 8 eggs and when I candled on day 18 ( and got the surprise pip egg) I thought I had 4 goods and 4 quitters. I shoved them all back under the girls because I was in shock. I went down tonight to pull the bad eggs and only came out with 2 eggs. SOOOO? Either my candling was off and there are more chicks under there than I thought or
sickbyc.gif
they busted a couple of the quitters and are sitting in
sickbyc.gif
. I pulled a couple large pieces of shell out but not the equivalent of 4-6 eggs.
hu.gif

Guess I will know when they get moving. Can't wait to see them up and out

Hey Guys, Today Is day 21 of our chick hatch and I'm getting worried because Im not hearing any peeping... Should I be worried? Thanks!

One chick fully hatched (had to assist, the poor thing was a bit stuck in the membrane).
One starting to zip.
One just pipped.

This is the beginning of day 23, so a bit later than I expected... I even went and bought 8 chicks at the feed store this morning!
I'm thinking I could get one or two more, but not crossing my fingers. I had honestly hoped that ONE of the 48 eggs I set would hatch, so I am a happy chick mama!

wee.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom