The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bumping because im really mot sure what to do. Im so stressed. I just wish my seramas would hatch. They are he inly 2 from the 12 shipped eggs that grew

Wow, I never got shipped Seramas to hatch. At least you have two that grew. Good job.

I have decided to not pursue my last egg. Day 23 started at 6:00 PM but I am thinking since most of my chicks hatched early, there must be something wrong with this egg. This particular hen's eggs all hatched on Day 19 so technically it is 4 days late and I don't want an egg exploding in my incubator.

Here are my final numbers:

Total Egg Set 78
Lockdown 52
Hatched 47.
Overall Hatch Rate = 60%

Shipped Eggs- Set = 46
Failed to develop/Quitters= 21
Lock-Down= 25
Hatched= 21
Shipped eggs hatch rate = 46%

Home Eggs- Set = 32 Infertile = 3 , Quitters 2.
Lockdown 27- Hatched 26
Home-Eggs Hatch Rate = 81%

Thanks everyone here for such a good HAL. There is always something new one learns from the hatching experience. Also special thanks to the moderators who serve as our mentors and arrange all the contests etc. Thank you again.

I am sure I will stop by to post some pics.

I still havent seeb anything from the 2 blue eggs...no movement and no noises. I just candled and water candled and nothing. What should i do? They are on day 23. One of them internally pipped saturday.

My one serama egg is the same. On day 21 today. The other egg is peeping rocking and internally pipped.

Bumping because im really mot sure what to do. Im so stressed. I just wish my seramas would hatch. They are he inly 2 from the 12 shipped eggs that grew

Dont dret just yet i have had them go to day 23 unusual for the breed but they can if your temps were low by even a degree

Okay Saturday was day 21 and I have waited a few extra days patiently. I guess the damage was done.

I set 14 but got 0 chicks. Disappointing for sure!

I guess I will buy a few of the Wheaten Blue Wheaten chicks I was trying to hatch from the breeder that I got the eggs from and leave the incubating to the experts for now. I really thought incubating might be fun and less expensive but that can only be true if the eggs hatch. Is $12 per chick a good price for these chicks 2 to 3 weeks old?

Maybe I will try again sometime? It was exciting to hear the peeps before they quit so I'm quite sure I will do it again.

I had 42 chicks hatch out of 46 that made it into look down. They started hatching two days early, sure am glad I got them into look down on time.

Is it low humidity that causes an early hatch?

I now have some turkey eggs set for he first time.

I had 42 chicks hatch out of 46 that made it into look down. They started hatching two days early, sure am glad I got them into look down on time.

Is it low humidity that causes an early hatch?

I now have some turkey eggs set for he first time.
Not humidity but temperature a degree can and will make a difference too warm early cooler late hatch

So far only 3 out of 13 eggs set for lock down have hatched. Others are doing nothing. Candled the remaining 10 tonight but saw no movement. One had pipped internally. Will leave them in until tomorrow night and look at them again. Out of 36 eggs set originally that is not good. Been having that problem with my hatches so far this year. They start developing but a lot quit before lock down and most of those quit before hatch. Last two hatches have had none hatch so I guess 3 is better than that. Have now bought a Brinsea Spot Check so think I have one problem solved. Temps were running high. Keep tweeking so hopefully will start having better luck with the next hatches. Not ready to give up.

Well, we assisted our two zippers who decided to stop zipping half way. It had been 12+ hours since they attempted to zip. We finished zipping the shell for them (but left the membrane), wrapped them in wet paper towels and set them back in the incubator. We are going to let them go overnight and check back with them in the morning. Both are peeping.
What should we do if they still are not out in the morning? (that would be about 30 hours since pip)

I'm keeping the 12 I bought and the 4 I got from @Junibutt and the 3 bantams, 6 are going to a friend straight run so that leaves 7 that I will sell or give away if the kids will let me...
That sounds so well thought out. I should do so well, for the truth is, although I've had rotten hatches, I am over run with chicks - the kind that never seem to get full or enough to eat. (Too many practice hatches) When I started thinking about breeding a heritage breed to the Standard of Perfection, I had no idea I would have to grow out so many in order to continue a decent line. I hope your kids will help you if they are old enough. Kids are great marketers.

Blessings, Laurie in Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom