The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One pipped egg, and the chick died during hatching. We watched it take its last breath. :-( Humidty is at 62%, temp at 98.5. We've lost 5 out of 7!! :-(

Does washington have a free necropsy service? In California it is administered through an animal health and safety program.

There could be a flock disease like e coli or something causing them to die.

I have 84 eggs in the incubator and about 60 are due in exactly 1 week. Quote: Everyone here had it and we've been better for a few days. I had it the worst. It started with a fairly bad cough and sore throat but after about 3 days I had a high fever for 4 days and very fatigued. It lasted almost a month in all but the first two weeks were cough madness.
2 weeks with the cough? Ugh! :th Crazy stuff ey? Glad you are feeling better. I have a feeling I have another good week of this cough..it isn't going away any time real soon. Now today, I hear my husband sneezing. I look at him, he says yep, it's coming. Poor guy, I know what he's in for. This being older thing sure isn't fun when illness comes. I used to get bad colds, but was out and about if the fever was gone. Yeah, had that fever too. Just no fun. :/
I hope you feel better soon!
Well, after the nightmare that was my HAL there is a silver lining! I had to surgically extract multiple chicks who got stuck in their shells while zipping (mom has a very thick membrane-not going to hatch from her again) and two actually made it! One of the them is the cutest chick I've ever hatched...here he is...his name is Butters. He also likes to pose for the camera And sleep like a lawn dart He's a large fowl splash Cochin, and truly precious to me! It took a lot of hard, delicate work to get him out, but I wanted to share one success story on an assist. Having to do that is always heartbreaking, because you know most of them won't make it (and I did lose two and the other assist is having some issues but fighting hard.) I did a combination of a few different suggestions on this forum to get them out- I put the eggs in a warm, wet towel during transport from the incubator (hot enough to be steamy, but not too hot) made my bathroom as steamy as possible, and used Polysporin to lubricate the membranes. Then I used a pair of cuticle scissors to CAREFULLY trim the fluff that was really stuck. I soaked the easier stuck pieces in warm water with a cotton pad and they rolled off. All of the chicks I assisted were stuck while zipping, but I still lost 2 of the 4 I had to help. It was gnarly, but so worth it!
Good job! Did your humidity get high and drop suddenly? That's how I have had glued zippers in the past. He is a cutie, and blue too! I love blue chickens.
I have my first baby :) So tired lol
Yay, congrats!
One pipped egg, and the chick died during hatching. We watched it take its last breath. :-( Humidty is at 62%, temp at 98.5. We've lost 5 out of 7!! :-(
I'm sorry. If your incubator has a fan, temps need to be at 99.5. If no fan, it needs to be 101.5.

Does washington have a free necropsy service? In California it is administered through an animal health and safety program.

There could be a flock disease like e coli or something causing them to die.
Our incubator spiked day 12 to 106. I'm thinking that it may have had something to do with it. :-/ They're also Isbars, which I hear are difficult to hatch.

Adding one more to our total. One of the kids eggs hatched this morning! Day 25! Talk about a late bloomer... I am a little worried about this one though. It has already dried and fluffed out. Cute little bugger. Of course the kids want to keep it no matter what. My concern is it seems a little "cooked in the head." The little one keeps flopping onto its back and staying there. When I go to check on it, it just looks up at me like "what?"

What should I do about this one?

15/37 = hatched/set

Last edited:
I hope you feel better soon!
Good job! Did your humidity get high and drop suddenly? That's how I have had glued zippers in the past. He is a cutie, and blue too! I love blue chickens.
Yay, congrats!
I'm sorry. If your incubator has a fan, temps need to be at 99.5. If no fan, it needs to be 101.5.
Our incubator has a fan, it's a Brinsea mini advance.

Adding one more to our total. One of the kids eggs hatched this morning! Day 25! Talk about a late bloomer... I am a little worried about this one though. It has already dried and fluffed out. Cute little bugger. Of course the kids want to keep it no matter what. My concern is it seems a little "cooked in the head." The little one keeps flopping onto its back and staying there. When I go to check on it, it just looks up at me like "what?"

What should I do about this one?

15/37 = hatched/set
I have a chick that does that. She hatched on time but I frequently find her flipped over and not being able to get up from that position. And then other chicks start pecking her feet etc. I suspect some sort of ear infection or imbalance disorder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom