The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am waiting for one that young to bark at me!
Want some hatching eggs?
gig.gif

Here are my totals. Finally did eggtopsy on my last two. I feel better now, because I don't think it was my fault they didn't make it.
roll.png

12 Set
6 hatched normally
2 hatched w/ assistance
1 early quitter
1 late quitter (we don't know why)
1 pipped a vein
1 pipped upside down into fluid end

TOTAL: 8 Healthy Happy Chicks! All survived!
67% Hatched, 100% Fertility

Yesterday, I decided it was time to transport my chicks home since they had started to jailbreak their temporary brooder at work. The only cardboard box I could find was HUGE, but I had a bucket that I had brought some shavings from home for the brooder, so I put some shavings in the bucket, punched holes in the lid, and piled in the baby chicks. It was a bit of a tight fit, but no one seemed to mind. I stopped at the grocery store and the kids stayed in the vehicle with the chicks. They could hear them scuffling around in the bucket. When we got home, I took the bucket from my daughter and opened it... It was steaming hot in there and the chicks were all laying on their sides gasping!!! Apparently, the holes I punched in the lid were not big enough!!! We quickly started grabbing them and blowing in their faces. All but one little chick woke up pretty quickly. I had a heartbeat on the last one for a while and even attempted very careful mouth to mouth, but to no avail... One precious little baby did not survive my stupidity...
hit.gif
We took the rest into the basement, put cool water in a lid and dipped thier feet in it. They sat around for a bit kind of fluffed up, but soon began peeping and eating and drinking... Bad chicken mommy....
smack.gif

I have never had to mess with pasty butt, for some reason I am with this hatch . I think I finally got it under control.
Me too..but, it is slowing down. One in particular..a silkie kept getting it. Maybe that fur was too fluffy around the bum.

Me too..but, it is slowing down. One in particular..a silkie kept getting it. Maybe that fur was too fluffy around the bum.
Pasty butt comes from stress usually.

Treat it by:

Giving the chick grit
Feeding the some scrambled eggs
A bit of plain yogurt each day.

It goes away on it's own usually but doing the above will help it go away faster.

one of my chicks had pasty butt and i got it off but now his butt hole is swollen....has anyone had this happen?
and i also had one of my sizzle chicks pass today. i hope it wasnt sick or theres a problem with my chicks...of course now im paranoid
hu.gif

Yesterday, I decided it was time to transport my chicks home since they had started to jailbreak their temporary brooder at work. The only cardboard box I could find was HUGE, but I had a bucket that I had brought some shavings from home for the brooder, so I put some shavings in the bucket, punched holes in the lid, and piled in the baby chicks. It was a bit of a tight fit, but no one seemed to mind. I stopped at the grocery store and the kids stayed in the vehicle with the chicks. They could hear them scuffling around in the bucket. When we got home, I took the bucket from my daughter and opened it... It was steaming hot in there and the chicks were all laying on their sides gasping!!! Apparently, the holes I punched in the lid were not big enough!!! We quickly started grabbing them and blowing in their faces. All but one little chick woke up pretty quickly. I had a heartbeat on the last one for a while and even attempted very careful mouth to mouth, but to no avail... One precious little baby did not survive my stupidity...
hit.gif
We took the rest into the basement, put cool water in a lid and dipped thier feet in it. They sat around for a bit kind of fluffed up, but soon began peeping and eating and drinking... Bad chicken mommy....
smack.gif
I'm sorry. Glad you got to the rest in time though!

one of my chicks had pasty butt and i got it off but now his butt hole is swollen....has anyone had this happen?
and i also had one of my sizzle chicks pass today. i hope it wasnt sick or theres a problem with my chicks...of course now im paranoid
hu.gif
Could they be too hot in the brooder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom