The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

So, my brooder is getting rained on. I haven't brought it in yet due to being busy. Won't even be able to try to get it inside until after Blu gets home here in the next hour. If it starts lightening? Yeah, no. It can stay out there in that case.

Coming up on the Day 20 mark... still no pips. I did pop the incubator open a couple hours ago to take out a sponge since the humidity was getting a little too high and I might have stuck the candler on the couple eggs in the front. At least two of the six I checked had internal pips and there was movement in the others so I know they're coming and someone was peeping at me when I checked just an hour ago. Come on tiny peeps, you can do this!

In other news, I updated the Ebay seller I bought my first two dozen EE from. I told her about how USPS had scrambled the air cells and that only two hatched in the end. She was so thrilled about the update and pictures I sent that she offered me another two dozen eggs for the cost of shipping only. Oh gosh, now I don't know what to tell her XD DH2B already thinks I'm crazy, I already hatched 2, I have another 30 that could possibly hatch... And I only really wanted 10 or so hens from the whole ordeal! I'm struggling to think of a single reason as to why I should say yes and get more eggs... but I'm not sure I can say no to that deal either! So when does this become an addiction?
jumpy.gif

I've got one pipped, so far.
In other news, the brooder condo is finished.

35 sq ft of brooder space.
Nice, now come build me one.

@Sally Sunshine Hi Sally & Mike, I have 4 pips this morning
ya.gif
This is suppose to be hatch day, but upon calibrating the therm/hygro in the incubator that they spent the first 18 days in. For some reason the thermo was off a degree. I had calibrated it just at the start of putting those eggs in. I'm not certain why or when it changed but that would explain why these eggs are running late. So glad I checked it before adding another full tray into that incubator. Sally thanks for STRESSING the importance of calibrating before EVERY hatch
highfive.gif
Or get a Brinsea Spot Check Thermometer. You can also tell temperature by timing your hatch, if they hatch early then your temperature is high, if they hatch late then your temperature is low.

Somehow a few Quail eggs fell into the bator.....
hu.gif
Sneaky little quail.

First chick out for me!
wee.gif
A little Wheaten Ameraucana! It is having a hard time getting its butt out of the bottom half of its shell because I had the eggs all kind of leaning against each other and this one is smack dab in the middle!
lol.png

Adorable! I see quite a few pips too! Make sure the chick doesn't get smooshed by the other eggs though.

Or get a Brinsea Spot Check Thermometer.  You can also tell temperature by timing your hatch, if they hatch early then your temperature is high, if they hatch late then your temperature is low.

Sneaky little quail.

Adorable!  I see quite a few pips too!  Make sure the chick doesn't get smooshed by the other eggs though.

I pulled my 2 that just hatched just for that fear. Bunch of eggs and cartons so pulled those cute little fluff butts.
1f60d.png

Or get a Brinsea Spot Check Thermometer. You can also tell temperature by timing your hatch, if they hatch early then your temperature is high, if they hatch late then your temperature is low.

Sneaky little quail.

Adorable! I see quite a few pips too! Make sure the chick doesn't get smooshed by the other eggs though.
If you've got some old closet doors, pallets, exterior paint, and hardware cloth sitting around, you can do it yourself. Each level took about 3 days to complete, including the drying time for the paint. Simple and practically free.

I just took a chance and quickly opened the door to help the little guy (ahem, GIRL)
wink.png
since it was still having trouble getting totally out of its shell. The main problem was that it had managed to wedge its top shell partly down inside the bottom one, keeping it from easily climbing out due to the eggs on either side of it! A quick tug, and it was free! Splashed a little more warm water on the papertowels to get the humidity back up (which worked nicely). I think it looks much happier now, don't you?
love.gif

@Sally Sunshine Hi Sally & Mike, I have 4 pips this morning :ya This is suppose to be hatch day, but upon calibrating the therm/hygro in the incubator that they spent the first 18 days in. For some reason the thermo was off a degree. I had calibrated it just at the start of putting those eggs in. I'm not certain why or when it changed but that would explain why these eggs are running late. So glad I checked it before adding another full tray into that incubator. Sally thanks for STRESSING the importance of calibrating before EVERY hatch :highfive:

:weee You have pips to look at! :eek:

I always check too as my first ever hatch was a complete bust by only going on the incubator, totally cooked the eggs :hit
Drilled in now to always check!!
Yep shame on me, have multiple thermometers but have add a couple incubators & the extras were being used. I am doing a 24 hour recalibration on 2 right now, so a little short. Luckily the one that was off can be changed. Added a thermo/hygro that I knew was 100% correct. Then changed the factory settings. I do need to purchase a few more though.

I have chicks out now..lots of pips. Wonder what's up with a lot of us having early hatches. Oh well, they look good.

Back
Top Bottom