The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

I just want my younger girls to start laying. A few of them have, but most of them haven't. Everyone dropped off laying last week. Oddity the White Chantie laid yesterday. She hasn't laid since July.

Not a chance. SET ALL THE EGGS!

I'm caught between Silkies, Chanteclers, and Buckeyes. I love them too much to pick just one.
How are the Chanteclers? I have always been interested in them, but have never tried them.

How I wish this was not blurry!!!

Last edited:
Went to the TRC yesterday to get more food for the chickies and some sweet feed for my pregnant ewes. Picked up some oyster shell as well and some deer natural rock salt (great for trace minerals and makes strong healthy lambs). So I put a small bowl with a half cup in with the Bantam Wyandottes and the Sapphire that has started to lay. Tizzy the Sapphire runs over to the bowl and hovers pecking as fast as she can. Anytime the two Wyandotte girls try to gets some she pecks them. So I go off to feed the sheep, the minis and the other chickens. I come back about 30 minutes later and the bowl is completely consumed. I add another half cup and the same scene resumes. Thirty minutes later the bowl is overturned but only a smattering of oyster shell left. A full cup of oyster shell and most of it eaten by Tizzy.
ep.gif

I guess she plans on laying a bunch of eggs soon! Have some recipes ready that include eggs.
tongue.png

I just now, ordered some from mothergoose..really cute little barred rock bantams. I've not had them before! They look good, and if they are from Dick H's flock, I know they are a good heritage bird. :)

Rock bantams! So adorable! My rooster is a standard rock and he is HUGE. He is also really sweet, so a great breed to work with.
thumbsup.gif

My little white silkie is broody, pretty sure. She has been making that sound, She growled at me last night when I did one last check for an egg from her before bedtime because I didn't get an egg..and today, she was to bed pretty early. Touched her..up went the whole body of feathers, and she growled again. Cute, I haven't had a broody in a while. I knew it was time. Those silkies of mine will lay for about a month and a half to two months, then go broody. There was an egg under her. One of Bubbas. Just ate a couple of her eggs this morning..they are still fertile! I just left it there. See what happens. I think I know what happens when you leave fertile eggs under a broody hen.
big_smile.png
Just hoping this one is fertile.
If mothergoose can get those eggs off tomorrow like she was advertising..that would work too. Put a few under her.
Ordering those eggs is Sally's fault. I have been looking for bantam eggs, then I see all of these places that she posted..yes, I had been on the sale site, but there it was when I clicked on Sally's post. mothergoose had posted it since I last looked..yesterday.

That's so awesome! I love broody hens! Just thought I would say that chicks do better in small groups, I guess you'll just have to put a few more eggs under her.
wink.png

He is wonderful to work with!

Ordered some silver pencil rock from him yrs. ago. Eggs that is. They came very late! And most were broken. So, he sent more. Those didn't even show up...ever! He says, I'm just sending you some chicks!
This is what I got! P.O. couldn't ignore chirping! They made it to me.

Those are so adorable! I love their colors!

I definitely need some darker eggs in my basket. Sooooo, ordered a dozen cuckoo marans (so I can keep the pullets and send away the boys after hatch). That was a sensible choice on my part. Totally practical.

So were the serama eggs I accidentally bought at the same time. Wait, what?

Yeah, it must have been a mistake of some kind. : )

LL

droolin.gif
Yes, this is the kind of splash I want! Not necessarily this breed, but this coloring!

That's an awesome looking hen! I want one like that too!

Got like 10 chicks in the bator. Three more pips so hard not to open it up and get the fluffy guys out.

Awesome! I can't wait until mine start hatching in a few days!

Count me in! I wasn't able to do the new years hatch-a-long, so i'm eggcited about this one!
Welcome to the 2016 Easter Hatch A Long!
jumpy.gif

Ok. When is Easter
1f602.png
I need to get calculating for the hatch.
Set days:

Set Chicken eggs on Saturday, March 5th at Noon (whatever time zone you are in)

Other poultry breed setting dates listed below...

We want to hatch on March 26th, (the day BEFORE Easter Sunday)

button quail: 16 days to hatch; set March 10th
coturnix quail: 18 days to hatch; set March 8th
seramas: 19 days to hatch; set March 7th
other bantam and LF chicken: 21 days to hatch; set March 5th
bobwhite quail: 23 days to hatch; set March 3rd
call duck and other bantam ducks: 26 days to hatch; set February 29th
pheasant: 22 to 29 days; set February 26th - March 4th
mallard (derived) duck,goose, turkey, guinea, peafowl: 28 days to hatch; set February 27th
goose: 28 to 32 days to hatch; set February 23rd - February 27th
muscovy duck: 35 days to hatch; set February 20th
emu: approx. 53 days to hatch - set Feb 2nd (for you "serious" hatchers)

Welcome to the 2016 Easter Hatch A Long!
frow.gif

There are a few more eggs in the carton that I am thinking of commandeering, I can't let any beautiful eggs go to waist, right?
Wel, did you get them?
idunno.gif

Hatching Particpant List is Current to Post 4230

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom