The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

[COLOR=4B0082]I was/still am using a mini 3 led flashlight I bought from our Dollartree store. It was what I started candling with and I really like it. But somewhere along the way someone took "my" flashlight and I started using a 9 led mini flashlight. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't see anything...so I specifically bought a higher lumen flashlight for candling (381 lumens) I happened to buy more of the 3 light led minis and I realized what happened. I use the 3 led mini light for candling most of the eggs and save the higher lumen for the army green and blue eggs.[/COLOR] COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]This is EXACTLY how I feel! :gig It's SO addictive and SO fun!! :celebrate [/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]I hand turn all of my eggs so the incubators are open the entire time I turn and when I candle. I also did an absolutely terrible thing to my thermostat...and my new incubator was mostly off for 2-3 hours yesterday while I was trying to do a quick fix on it. :rolleyes: Not so quick was the fix.:barnie [/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]But I "think" most eggs seemed ok. I'll know for sure in a day or so.[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]UPDATE - Silver HAL hatch[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]I did a "quick" candle on all of my HAL eggs tonight just to get an idea of numbers. The oldest eggs are in my original styro incubator that's in lockdown right now so I didn't want to have it open for too long.[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]The new plastic incubator has 3 separate trays of eggs in it and each tray represents a specific time period (except for a couple of eggs I switched around size wise for ease of rolling the eggs in rows to turn them.) Pics would of been much better to explain but I forgot my phone at home today. :rolleyes: [/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]Eggs laid Feb 5-12: 1-2 eggs developing[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082] Feb13-21: 17 eggs developing[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082] Feb 22-Mar 2: 19 eggs developing[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082] March 2-9: 31 eggs developing[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]I didn't count the very faint spiders on the Feb 13 - March 9 eggs because I'm not sure if they've been affected by yesterday's fix-it session.[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]I did set a few eggs after the HAL date that are in the above numbers, but I conveniently marked them a different color to keep track
thumbsup.gif
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=4B0082]I also have some eggs in lockdown due tomorrow. Not many made it from the eggs I bought.[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]I believe one of the eggs laid late Jan that's made it this far. (Hopefully I haven't jinxed it now..lol!) :jumpy :jumpy :jumpy [/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]:woot [/COLOR]
Good information!

So I candled my eggs and they are actually developing maybe a little slower than they should be... But it's really happening!! To clarify I didn't expect any as we did not know the age of the eggs- we found them by the wood pile under the tarp- and I don't know what I'm doing... Anyway they all seem to be progressing except two that may have blood rings, but since I'm not really sure about that I'm going to leave them in for another couple of days.
But yay they're growing. What am I going to do with more chicks though? I already have like 45. I'm going to be overrun.

1f602.png
1f602.png
tell me about it.

Look in the Heath Foods sections of regular stores. The Kroger stores keep it there. You can also buy the regular vinegar at the same time and pour off a cupful and replace it with a cupful of the vinegar with the mother and then let it sit at room temperature for a week before using it. This way you don't have to pay as much as often for the special bottle.

I get the ACV with the mother at our Walmart!
1f60a.png

I'm out.  My broody couldn't figure it out.  She swapped eggs with the other girls daily, and SOMEBODY ate two of her eggs, I caught them in the act with the EE egg.   I candled both remaining eggs and both had started, but quit.  Both were ice cold, and broody was sitting on the newly laid eggs.
:barnie
so sorry! I had a similar problem with my broody hen; she got spooked and one of the eggs cracked open, then she wouldn't sit on any of the others. Naturally, they were on day 18 when that happened :( 3 or 4 eggs might be alive still, waiting now for pips

Lots and lots, it's great!  Shasta Lake is around 90% full now.  I think Folsom Lake is around 70% full and they have begun letting water out.  I hope they don't let out too much.

Me too. Glad we are getting the rain they were counting on when they started letting water out of Folsom. Sometimes their calculations don't pan out.

Having incubator trouble. I got a second thermometer and noticed my temps were 2 degrees too low. I was also told by someone who has the same incubator that they keep theirs at 101 and won't worry about lowering the temp unless it reaches 104 since it fluctuates. Well 102 freaks me out and my bator ranges from 100 to 102. I candled my hatch-a-long chicks Friday and more than half had blood rings! I am devistated! The ones that I saw movement were located furthest from the heater. I thought I was doing everything right, but now I am convinced my temp was too high. Since Friday I lowered my temp to 100.

Back
Top Bottom