The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Whoooo so far five chicks 0 Roos and 5 hens and still more pippin when are the final numbers due because my eggs are takin their sweet time
wink.png

Good luck on your hatch
jumpy.gif

Sorry I'm reporting so late. Life happened so it's been crazy around here. I had 22 out of 32 to hatch. The eggs started hatching on the 25th and stopped on the 27th just after midnight with a couple of early blood rings and 6 late quitters.

Last edited:
I had a solo chick for a week before I could get her friends. Get a hand mirror and put it against the wall of the brooder (down to the floor). It'll be their little friend until the others arrive.

If you act very early, you have a chance of fixing it (depending on how severe it is). Make a little hobble brace out of VetRap or medical tape. More details on this in the chicken podiatry links toward the end of Sally's Hatching 101 article. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. It's worth a try.

I had one with mild/moderate splay leg in my last hatch, treated immediately (which still wet in the incubator), kept it hobbled for 3-4 days (making sure it could get food and water). After that, it was running around like nobody's business - I couldn't pick him out of the group now...

Good luck!

- Ant Farm
Thanks..Will do, the farmers store will have chicks on the 6th

Chick Pics-

I ended up with 28. I had to go somewhere and didn't turn the incubator off. Came home and another one had hatched. That was Tuesday. The first one in that incubator hatched Friday. Very strange!

Wife just told me that both feed stores up here lost there chicks during shipping. I just sold my last hatch (34) to someone who couldn't get chicks in town. I guess I'm going to set 100 eggs for the April hatch. People calling and saying they heard we have chicks for sale and we're now out. I even sold 5 of my 8 week olds from my previous hatch for $25 each.

I think I'm going to need to build a bigger incubator.
Wow, hot market for selling chicks!

Thanks for all of your entries!

The winners of the Other Fowl Contest are.......

1st Place

RattleCan
900x900px-LL-18472b7e_DSC03314.jpeg

2nd Place

Scovy Momma
900x900px-LL-9b351e1d_DaisyEvaworking.jpeg

3rd Place

Scovy Momma
900x900px-LL-0b2dcd15_IMG_3376.jpeg

Congratulations!​

Sorry that it took me so long to respond. I spent the last few days catching up on all the posts. I don't have the best news anyways. Out of the twenty something eggs I put in the incubator only two hatched and only one survived. Dash, the little chick I assisted, ended up passing while under his mother, Eve. However, X is doing pretty well with her and they were moved to a crate with food and water. I have one egg (25) that may hatch, but he seems majorly under developed and so my opening it likely wasn't for the best. I think he was in a cooler spot in the incubator most of the time (it was one of the shipped eggs).

By the way, the names Dash, 25, and X come from the markings that were on the egg shells. Dash didn't actually have a Dash on him, but all the eggs that did ended up dying so I had to pass the name along.

Anyways, I wanted to say congratulations to all who had successful hatches, I saw some really cute chick pictures.
smile.png
And I'm sorry to all who had difficult hatches, I understand you guys. It was hard holding Dash for a full day, taking him to the doctors with me so I could keep him warm, and then just having him die anyways. He was just strengthening.... Hatching chicks is so hard I wonder if I should even try using the incubator again. Every time I have used it I end up with hands covered in chick blood and dying chicks in my hands. Its a little too dramatic to keep going through. I buried Dash out with Canary and Snart.

Anyways, best of luck to anyone who is still hatching. I hope all goes well.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom