The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Hope you all don't mind, i want to share some pictures from my recent hatch!

Cross (welsummer/easter egger)

Bourbon red poults

And some super fluff balls - salmon faverolles chicks

Had a pretty good day today. 11 of my chicks went to their new home with @Daethen they also took four of my adult birds too. :) I hope they love them and spoil them rotten. :)

In other news my broody buff killed one of the other broody's chicks today, a little black oegb. Idk why for sure as I didn't see it but the baby was in the shavings in front of her and I'm guessing was trying to get under her when she attacked it. Nearly half its head was bald and it had puncture wounds where it had been pecked but it was not as bloody as it sounds. It looked more raw then anything. What would cause her to do this? It's true she is starting her hatch today but I've heard so many wonderful stories about people who have broodies hatch and/or raise chicks together. Mine just seem to want to steal and peck each other and their chicks. Ugh tomorrow if the buff shows any signs of aggression towards any babies her chicks will be taken and she will be put out with the flock. In better news the buff has at least one chick hatched so far a perfectly formed slw/ buff Orpington mix was sticking it's head out from under her earlier.

I'm trying to be patient as this is all of my ladies' first hatches but I don't want them killing or hurting each other or their chicks either.

In other news today after finding the little dead chick, I discovered there was another chick missing, a little silkie. After looking all over and not finding it anywhere we dismissed it and DH2B talked me out of it. Naturally I thought I was nuts or had miscounted the number of silkies we had hatched. lol. Tonight tucked just in front of the aggressive broody buff Orpington that killed the oegb chick was the little missing silkie. I knew I wasn't crazy! Lol separated from its real "mother" all day and not having been taken to food or water we gave it back to Ginger to look after. Amazing how life works sometimes. Of course tomorrow we will investigate further if possible and see if I'm wrong again somehow. Although I'm sure that broody buff had no bantam eggs unless she has kept one hidden for 21 days lol I have no idea how that little one escaped injury and ended up under the broody that had just killed it's sibling but I'm grateful it's alive.

Had a pretty good day today. 11 of my chicks went to their new home with @Daethen they also took four of my adult birds too. :) I hope they love them and spoil them rotten. :)

In other news my broody buff killed one of the other broody's chicks today, a little black oegb. Idk why for sure as I didn't see it but the baby was in the shavings in front of her and I'm guessing was trying to get under her when she attacked it. Nearly half its head was bald and it had puncture wounds where it had been pecked but it was not as bloody as it sounds. It looked more raw then anything. What would cause her to do this? It's true she is starting her hatch today but I've heard so many wonderful stories about people who have broodies hatch and/or raise chicks together. Mine just seem to want to steal and peck each other and their chicks. Ugh tomorrow if the buff shows any signs of aggression towards any babies her chicks will be taken and she will be put out with the flock. In better news the buff has at least one chick hatched so far a perfectly formed slw/ buff Orpington mix was sticking it's head out from under her earlier.

I'm trying to be patient as this is all of my ladies' first hatches but I don't want them killing or hurting each other or their chicks either.

In other news today after finding the little dead chick, I discovered there was another chick missing, a little silkie. After looking all over and not finding it anywhere we dismissed it and DH2B talked me out of it. Naturally I thought I was nuts or had miscounted the number of silkies we had hatched. lol. Tonight tucked just in front of the aggressive broody buff Orpington that killed the oegb chick was the little missing silkie. I knew I wasn't crazy! Lol separated from its real "mother" all day and not having been taken to food or water we gave it back to Ginger to look after. Amazing how life works sometimes. Of course tomorrow we will investigate further if possible and see if I'm wrong again somehow. Although I'm sure that broody buff had no bantam eggs unless she has kept one hidden for 21 days lol I have no idea how that little one escaped injury and ended up under the broody that had just killed it's sibling but I'm grateful it's alive.

The buff is just protecting it's nest from any intruders during a critical time, rather than removing the buff to protect chicks you should consider providing a barrier to keep her from being bothered. ...yes some broody hens will cooperate and co brood but many won't and it has been said here many times that observation and great care need taken to see how any individual deals with a situation.
I'm sorry your chick died but I wouldn't blame the hen for protecting her nest...

Back
Top Bottom