The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

Same here today. Early this morn I told DW and the kids it was starting, check out back left corner, the piped egg was still there. Later still there, and two chicks all the sudden! Then more! Hrs later that one still didn't progress. I opened just a crack and gave it just a little squeeze, wasn't zipping, was out soon after. Still not a lot of action on many, only the eight still, one more pip progressing, see what we have in the morning.

As of this morning I have 15 hatched looking through the eggshells I have at least two more zipping and with the pips I give up looking so many eggshells laying around !!

My final count is 5 out of 7 set. They all seem to be doing well.

Nice!
11 hatched so far for me
jumpy.gif

I've just quickly moved the dry ones to the brooder. 1 Brahma and 4 polish pipped so hoping they get a move on whilst I'm out this morning
fl.gif

I just snuck 10 dry chicks into a cleaned up brooder that has I think 3 Seramas and about 12 bantam EEs that hatched last week. They were fighting for room under the heat plate - they just burrowed their way under the others. The eggs in the bator are still chirping. I had to chip away a little shell and tear the membrane for one, the other pipped egg, I chipped a tiny bit of shell and saw blood, so I stopped and put it back. I dumped some hot water in the bator, and closed it back up. I'm hoping I'll have a few more chicks tomorrow.

Happy Hatching everyone!!! Keep posting photos please!!!
They sound like they are very active!

I have 2 that have hatched so far and counted 17 pips. These guys were not supposed to start hatching until Sunday. They are definitely ready to come into the world.
1f60a.png
Did you set them on Sunday? If you set on Sunday they should hatch on Sunday.

I set mine on a Saturday and they are hatching today, right on time.

I can't believe this egg pipped. I totally thought it was a quitter but I kept it in just because. Just goes to show you that you shouldn't count an egg out until you know FOR SURE that it's not viable! The membrane looks a bit dry but humidity is at 70% and I just put in a wet paper towel to increase it some more.
Just curious, what made you think it was a quitter?[/QUOTE]

Quitter might not have been the best word. It's a Marans egg so it was very dark and tough to see through at the end. I couldn't tell what was going on with the chick definitively, but the air cell was small and hadn't significantly increased in size between candlings. I figured if the chick was alive, it wouldn't make it due to small air cell. I just pulled a little splash baby put of the incubator, so looks like I was wrong! Happy happy!

Btw, I already t think this baby is a roo due to a very defined looking comb. What's more, I kind of think it has Donald Trump-like hair!
gig.gif

Last edited:
Quitter might not have been the best word. It's a Marans egg so it was very dark and tough to see through at the end. I couldn't tell what was going on with the chick definitively, but the air cell was small and hadn't significantly increased in size between candlings. I figured if the chick was alive, it wouldn't make it due to small air cell. I just pulled a little splash baby put of the incubator, so looks like I was wrong! Happy happy!

Btw, I already t think this baby is a roo due to a very defined looking comb. What's more, I kind of think it has Donald Trump-like hair!
gig.gif

lol. I have a leghorn roo that is named Donald cause of his comb over, lol

Back
Top Bottom