The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

Got a early bird starting. Mine aren't due until Saturday.

In my experience, it depends on the broody. It's worth a try to sneak the chicks under her very late tonight. She may take them all as long as she is not stressed. My silkies tend to be very calm and reliable for adoptions.
If she tends to be very flighty or irresponsible though, it's probably not a good idea.
Ok, thanks. I think I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

I have no chicks in this hatch, but in the past, yes, I keep chicks and turkeys in the same brooder. I also keep them in the same pen as adults.
Ok, thanks. I was thinking it was ok, but the guy at the feed store said to put them in a separate brooder. I was happy to see you mention turkeys, so I could ask you! This is my first time with turkeys. I just bought 3 Bronze turkeys about 2 hours ago!

Ok, thanks. I was thinking it was ok, but the guy at the feed store said to put them in a separate brooder. I was happy to see you mention turkeys, so I could ask you! This is my first time with turkeys. I just bought 3 Bronze turkeys about 2 hours ago!
There is supposed to be some disease that I believe turkeys can give chickens... blackhead disease or something. Which is why some say to keep them separated. But I've been mixing them for over 10 years now with no issues.

There is supposed to be some disease that I believe turkeys can give chickens... blackhead disease or something. Which is why some say to keep them separated. But I've been mixing them for over 10 years now with no issues.
Yes, I've heard something about that also. I've heard that it could be present in the soil and that turkeys are susceptible to it but not chickens. However, chickens can catch it from turkeys, just not from the soil. I think there is suppose to be a way to test the soil for it, but I don't know what that method is.

Got a early bird starting. Mine aren't due until Saturday.
Better early than late!

Quote: Turkeys and chickens are commonly hatched together. Turkey tutors! Turkeys aren't, ummmmm, as easily trained to food/water, so the chickens help them learn. I had Sweetgrass turkeys *briefly*, like 5 months. They were super friendly like a dog, but not as bright. They would not go in to roost at night and most got picked off by predators. Around here, if you don't go in at night, you don't live long. I gave the last few away, but I loved having them while they were here. I wish they were more coop trainable.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom