The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

DH set up an incubator on the front porch this morning.
We got the humidity level up pretty good. Added water and apple cider with light brown sugar. It's coming up to a light steam release, keeping the air content nice and steamy.
View attachment 1320030
We placed the subject which has been in a curing brine in the refrigerator for 7 days, upon a rack just above the steamy water of the incubator
Said subject is a homegrown Berkshire Ham.View attachment 1320036 He placed the lid on the incubator and has raised the temperature to a consistent 160*F.View attachment 1320041 Balancing the delicate heat/steam ratio is being performed by the addition of Hickory Wood provided by courtesy of Hurricane Irma. She was nice enough to drop a couple of Hickory Trees into our lap w/o damaging our home. What a sweetie she was I tell you.. Thanks Irma!.
To complement the apple cider steam, an occasional hand full of Apple Wood chips to generate a little more "Apple-ness".View attachment 1320042
So we are on lock down right now!
Lid stays tight to contain a consistent heat/water vapor ratio. We should have the hatch, let's say.. around 5 PM.
I'm hoping the smell from the incubator doesn't put me in the nut house before the hatch this evening. I don't wish to miss our little Easter Dinner.
:bun
HAPPY EASTER EVERYBODY!

I love it!!! I am coming to your house for dinner. ;) Even DH2B loved the creativity of your post. We really want to raise our own pork.

Seven Sebastopol goslings went into lockdown and all hatched! Happy Easter everyone. Anyone in northwest Washington state want to buy a gosling? Curly breasted, colors and white, straight run.

Oh I wish you lived by me. I have been thinking about getting some Sebastopols. I met a pair that I really really loved.

We have 11 chicks. They started hatching at 19 days so that was a surprise. We lost one to the cats :-( thought we had them secure enough but apparently not. And 2 died while hatching. There are 5 eggs still in the incubator but no action so far. One chick that was born at 19 days is breathing rapidly. Not sure she will make it... hope so. Incubating eggs is quite the adventure!

Attachments

• 20180401_072139.jpg
    20180401_072139.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 2
My hatch is finish 14 out of 14 hatch 12 blue and black copper marans and 2 olive eggers.

We woke up to an Easter surprise! We had a late hatcher! All together, we had 12 chicks hatch: 11 yesterday (3/31) and one on Easter!

We have 11 chicks. They started hatching at 19 days so that was a surprise. We lost one to the cats :-( thought we had them secure enough but apparently not. And 2 died while hatching. There are 5 eggs still in the incubator but no action so far. One chick that was born at 19 days is breathing rapidly. Not sure she will make it... hope so. Incubating eggs is quite the adventure!

We are hatching something else besides chickens in this family! Another grandchild. :yaView attachment 1320768

Congratulations!!!!!!!

X2! Congratulations to all!

CONGRA_16.GIF

Back
Top Bottom