The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

My baby quail are getting big already!
20180402_133638.jpg

Ok final numbers.... 7 out of 8 turkey eggs hatched...but one passed over night and another needed special attention. Out of 36 chicken eggs set 9 were infertile and 2 blood rings so went into lockdown with 25, and hatched 19. one started to zip but got turned over during bowling and died, and 3 more were yolks and died. So 16 live chicks.
20180330_145459.jpg

Hey guys

Update. We are done.

Sadly.

I candled when I saw no external pip and when candling I could see the chick's feet up by the air cell. The veins were not distinct like I like and I figured it was dead or stuck and close to dieing.

When I opened the air cell it was clear I was right. The chick was dead.

Tomorrow I plan to open and eggtopsy the egg to identify when and see if I can tell how. I know it was alive at lockdown.

Sadly we have one lonely little quail chick and tomorrow I will get in touch with the breeder and get some friends for our little quail.

Thank goodness there's a local breeder we can go to in these situations.

Final JG count...

Started with 13. 2 decided not to join in the Easter fun.
Lockdown with 11. Was unsure about 2.
8 Hatched starting day 22, healthy, and loving it in the mama heating pad corral...4 Easter Day and 4 over night last night.

Starting a dozen heritage bronze turkeys today and will add about 2 dozen more JGs later to the bator.

Very happy with 8 of 11 hatching!! Our first batch of eggs hatched that our own birds laid. On our way to creating a sustainable Rocky Mountain boneless chicken ranch (for you Far Side fans)!

Just wanted to share this picture with everyone. I was watching one of the eggs that looked like it would hatch in the near future and one of its incubator siblings came over and decided to take a quick nap on it. :DLooked like it was letting the other one know it had friends on the outside.

*side note the baby hatched within 5 mins of this picture.
20180402_150814.jpg

All I had to was go to bed and sleep, I have 6 Easter Eggers hatched. Two pipped and the same two still thinking about it (they are alive) I had to soften the membrane and take the top of the shell off their heads, it was dried up around their beaks......my farm innovator kept spiking at 102 and humidity dropping to 17. This was a nerve wracking hatch, trying to keep up the temp without cooking them & humidity was crazy mostly down. I sure am spoiled with my R-Com incubator. I'm going to love this Harris Farm incubator if my maran eggs hatch well. I put the Easter Eggers in the RCom for hatching to keep them at the proper temp & humidity.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom