The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

I have a question for breeders about tail set. One of my hens has a perky fanned out tail. She carries it that way almost always. Here is a picture of her.
View attachment 1430900

The other has a more humpy downward pointing tail. She can perk it up sometimes, but the majority of the time she carries it more horizontal. I see this in other breeds too, sometimes it's more droopy. Here is a picture of her. Perhaps it isn't that noticeable but there is a difference between the two hens.
View attachment 1430905

I'm incubating eggs from both hens right now, but don't see the point of worrying about color if form isn't correct first. Any thoughts about the importance or nonimportance of the angle of the tail?

Tail set is important in any breed. I believe if I'm remembering correctly the proposed standard called for a 45 degree tail set on hens. So the first hen is more correct.

Thank you, @Pyxis. I remember 45% as well. If many of my eggs hatch, I'll see how heritable it is and we can eat the mistakes. I will replace that second hen when I can but for now my rooster needs all his ladies. He seems to realize he's being short changed. He's always trying to steal hens from the laying flock.

Blue Eager, I love your coop and the color. Wish I had one like it. You can't have too many, lol.

Thank you for the kind words Ms Biddy. I think both of your Cemani hens look amazing! No color leakage whatsoever, especially in their wattles. This has been a concern of mine & I hope mine fair as well as yours.

I lost my Cemani roo, Lafayette, after a month of doing everything I could to try to get him better (the handsome guy in my avatar).:hit I loved him so much.

Wondering if anyone in NJ has a Cemani roo in need of rehoming....

Pyxis or Ravyn, do you guys ever sell shipped eggs?

It's not the same without my roo boy. He was one in a million.

bestroogate.JPG

This is a gate and tree limb fence my husband handcrafted for me a couple weeks before Lafayette passed. Isn't it beautiful? And such a great memorial.

I buried him under the coop window box, next to the rosebush, so he will always be close to his ladies. I really, really miss him. He was my first roo and I never wanted a roo. But he changed my mind. He was great.

Last edited:
I lost my Cemani roo, Lafayette, after a month of doing everything I could to try to get him better (the handsome guy in my avatar).:hit I loved him so much.

View attachment 1526473

This is a gate and tree limb fence my husband handcrafted for me a couple weeks before Lafayette passed. Isn't it beautiful? And such a great memorial.

I buried him under the coop window box, next to the rosebush, so he will always be close to his ladies. I really, really miss him. He was my first roo and I never wanted a roo. But he changed my mind. He was great.

I sell shipped eggs :) However, my birds aren't laying right now, so I don't have any at the moment.

View attachment 1526473

Back
Top Bottom