The American Paint Silkie

Females under a year are pullets. A year and older are hens. Same thing with males, only replace pullet with cockerel and hen with rooster.
JHarper, I agree... If it weren't for all these BYC friends, my chickens would HATE me! LOL. RockerHen, this is one of those questions that I was almost embarrassed to ask... I thought it was a real newb question. But glad I did, I though that once they pop their first egg, they get their status.
Thanks Kristen

Another question ...Please.
smile.png

Can you put a paint rooster over any color hen? I mean to make paints... or just black hens?

I have paint and black chicks ight now will have some for sale in about six weeks if any one is looking. Parents came from top breeders not hatchery.

if u want black spots use black but u can use buff hens to make red paint or blue hens to make blue paint which looks like a splash but is not

Thank you again. I was just curious. I have a paint rooster over 2 black hens. I have only had 2 small sets of eggs from these girls due to their broody tendencies.
roll.png

1st set produced 2 blue & 1 black chick.
2nd set produced 2 blue, 2 paint and 1 that I swear is lavender. ??? Now I wonder if my hens are split to lavender. ???
I am just fumbling along !
lol.png

Meanwhile...one hen is broody, the other is sitting on the roost watching her broody sister.
barnie.gif

Thank you again.  I was just curious.  I have a paint rooster over 2 black hens. I have only had 2 small sets of eggs from these girls due to their broody tendencies.   :rolleyes:

1st set produced 2 blue & 1 black chick.  
2nd set produced 2 blue, 2 paint and 1 that I swear is lavender. ???  Now I wonder if my hens are split to lavender. ???
I am just fumbling along !  :lol:

Meanwhile...one hen is broody, the other is sitting on the roost watching her broody sister.  :barnie

If you got two blue chicks then one of your hens is blue and not black (or you have a blue paint roo). To get lavender both your roo and hen must be split to lavender... It's more likely you are getting recessive white pop up, or perhaps splash if you have a blue based hen or roo.

If you got two blue chicks then one of your hens is blue and not black (or you have a blue paint roo). To get lavender both your roo and hen must be split to lavender... It's more likely you are getting recessive white pop up, or perhaps splash if you have a blue based hen or roo.

th.gif

I am going out there now and get some pictures and make sure these hens are black...I swear they are !!!

I will post the pics of the adults and chicks.
gig.gif

Hen # 1 pretty sure she is black.

Rooster...took pics of both sides.....his spots look black also.

Hen # 2 A butt picture and a front picture.....is she really dark blue?
All this time, I thought she was black.
?????????????

These are the color chicks I hatched. The lighter one may indeed be Splash.

p.s. the chick is a Serama.
smile.png

Last edited:
I think your second girl is a really dark blue. We have a girl like that in our Blue pen. She looks black until you look at her under fluff in the right light. And to me that lighter chick is a light blue not a splash.

Back
Top Bottom