The American Paint Silkie

Just heard Penelope American Paint stolen from Judy Lee creator of American paint at the Newnan, Georgia Poultry Show! be on the look out and repost to find this chicken theif

Feb 16 & 17, 2013

Chattahoochee Valley Poultry Association 9th Annual Show

Newnan Coweta Fairgrounds

275 Pine Road

Newnan, GA 30263

Just heard Penelope American Paint stolen from Judy Lee creator of American paint at the Newnan, Georgia Poultry Show! be on the look out and repost to find this chicken theif

Feb 16 & 17, 2013

Chattahoochee Valley Poultry Association 9th Annual Show

Newnan Coweta Fairgrounds

275 Pine Road

Newnan, GA 30263
Is there a photo of the bird?

Does this look like it could be a Paint? It's the same color as my other whites except for the spots. Who know what it might look like when it feathers out, but I've never had a chick come out with spots before.

one thing I have noticed, you never know until they grow their feathers out. The spots could disappear or more could appear, or it could be a splash, or anything. Keep us updated. I would like to see how this one turns out.

That's kind of what I figured. It seems to me that you really don't know for sure until it's fully mature. I've seen fully feathered birds of a couple of moths old change quite a lot by the time they are mature. One thing I noticed is that the wing feathers that are coming in seem to have some barring, so my guess is that it's just going to look more like a general mix - which is pretty much true. I think it's from my white hen and the roo in my avatar who is splash with a LOT of red leakage. There is a thread on Daves Garden forums called "Silkie color please?" (you can find it by searching that title) - at the top there is a similar picture then about half way down someone says they had chicks that looked similar and the first picture they post is how I suspect this chick (and some of it's siblings) may look. Sort of a barred-ish / partridge-ish pattern with black and white. Still seems like it could be interesting, given the time and resources, to use it as a starting place for some sort of project... maybe. :) If it comes in mostly white with black and red splotches maybe I'd keep breeding to see if I can get more of a calico pattern. Who knows.... this chicken things sure does require a lot of patience.

HI All
Just found this thread so thrilled.!!..Been trying to read thru all the[posts here from # 1 but will take a while...wanted to ask this question though

Ill be hatching my first silkie eggs from my hens in 3 weeks Im so excited as i havent hatch one thing since last summer and these are silkies too..
..From the first paint silkie picture i saw I loved them and the splash too My favorite hands down

.I bought a few eggs from a friend who said they were porcelain that her splash or paint silkie wasnt laying yet but these are for sure paint if the criteria is feathers are dark to the skin on the spots and they for sure are.
.However mines spots seem more grey than black a charcoal almost black

My questions are someone said once on here a splash the spots are in one certain spot always on each chicken and paint are any place. or maybe its visa versa. with the spots ..Is this correct?,

Can the feathers be a dark grey near black like mine ....is that considered a black spotted paint.? or something else.?

I am assuming from some things i read here the black can be improved by a black roo?does it need the paint gene?

Only silkes i have are these 6 paints.... 3 and 3.. so want to buy the right thing if i need a black roo or white. either one..
thanks

I want to confirm something i saw on another thread.someone said often the roos especially have a cream? that wasnt the word... pale reddish hint to their feathers.is this true as i thought mine were porcelain not paint or splash before that.Been trying to pinpoint what to call their color for a while
.Dont fault me i dont know what the colors look like so I may be using the wrong terms or color names. Here are 2 of my 3 cockrels one not shown is a little less reddish Second picture is of my best darkest spotted pullet

Last edited:
Im no expert havent seen many very different colors but ive never seen a calico Silkie I don't think.
Would be really cool.. if you can breed them to come out true.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom