The American Paint Silkie

Here is Zoey's Dad Zeek.

Aww he's gorgeous! If you don't have paint roo, you could always put a nice quality black silkie roo in there and you could hatch some very nice babies from Zoey someday. :)

Aww he's gorgeous!   If you don't have paint roo, you could always put a nice quality black silkie roo in there and you could hatch some very nice babies from Zoey someday.  :)

What about breeding her to her Dad? I've read that's ok as long as you don't breed sibling to sibling. Will I get more paints breeding a paint to a paint? Thanks

Oh sure you could - I didn't think you had her dad. It's a good idea to bring in new quality bloodlines for breeding projects but breeding those two should be fine. If she happens to have a flaw she carries from her dad, the likelihood of the offspring having the same flaw is substantially higher is the only downfall, but I don't think that's huge risk until you get into generations of inbreeding.

Hi everyone, im interested in adding paints to my silkie flock and was wondering if anyone may know where I might locate some? I would prefer live chicks or young pullets but im kinda on a budget to so I just wanted to see where my sources would be and what it would cost. Thanks :)

Thanks! I believe that sassy little showgirl is a cockerel. He's starting to let out some pitiful croaks. It's very funny!

Yes, you should get lots of spotted chicks from breeding well spotted paint x paint. Unfortunately paints still aren't quite where show quality silkies are in form, and that's a good reason to breed to a show quality black silkie. They tend to still throw a lot of paint offspring without pigment holds, and they can pass forward that great silkie type. My silkies and showgirls are pets, but if you'd like to start a project for showing one day, that would be my suggestion to improve quality. :)

Thanks!  I believe that sassy little showgirl is a cockerel.  He's starting to let out some pitiful croaks.  It's very funny!

Yes, you should get lots of spotted chicks from breeding well spotted paint x paint.  Unfortunately paints still aren't quite where show quality silkies are in form, and that's a good reason to breed to a show quality black silkie.  They tend to still throw a lot of paint offspring without pigment holds, and they can pass forward that great silkie type.  My silkies and showgirls are pets, but if you'd like to start a project for showing one day, that would be my suggestion to improve quality.  :)

They make the funniest noises when the start to crow
1f60a.png
I really like breeding Zeek with my dark blue because she is such good type. Good info, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom