The American Paint Silkie

Hi there all,I'm new to all this. As painted silkies are still rare in England. I have a nice breeding group of them. I know if you put a paint roo with black hens. They get darker spots. What would I put with the painted hens. To make them darker. And also I have a red paint roo what I have been told. What would I put to him to make more or better. I've seen that buff hens are for that. But what is buff. As we have golds here.
Hi, I believe paint to black can work either way to produce the darker spots. I'd try a black roo over the paint hens. Or a really nice looking paint roo. If your wanting to produce more of the red paint, i'd try breeding him to a white hen and a buff hen and see what you get. A buff can be any shade from yellow, to a dark golden. Just pick the shade of buff your wanting to produce in the spots and bred it to him. Thats what I would try.

Hi there all,I'm new to all this. As painted silkies are still rare in England. I have a nice breeding group of them. I know if you put a paint roo with black hens. They get darker spots. What would I put with the painted hens. To make them darker. And also I have a red paint roo what I have been told. What would I put to him to make more or better. I've seen that buff hens are for that. But what is buff. As we have golds here.

I would love to see a pic of your red paint Roo. I would breed him with a red Silkie hen see what you get, here some pics off the web.

Does anyone on here sell paint hatching eggs? I have pretty much made it halfway through this thread (keep in mind when I went searching for silkie threads I was reading up on splash and blues cause Im getting a pen started lol) Anyway, I think I may have fallen in love with these little spotted ones. I have 4 white hens and a white rooster right now. splash eggs in the bator and 2 black chicks. what have I gotten myself in to lol

Hi Everyone,
I was hoping you could help me. I am looking for some black and white paint Silkie hatching eggs. I really love the bearded Silkies with the big spots. I am also interested in having a couple Showgirls in the mix. If I understand correctly, you can have paint and black in the same pen to achieve the paint chicks, right? Can you all let me know how has the b&w paints? We have several colors of Silkies now, but I would like to choose one color (sorta) and just work with that. Thank you ahead for all of your help. Lisa ~ Fort Christmas Farm

I just hatched out 5 silkie babies from my paint roo (well actually a hen did most the work - but I had to pull 10 chicks out of their shells, they were all 12 hours post pipping and no zipping and their membranes were dried--not sure why 10/11 chicks could not hatch on their own) of them all but 1 (I believe) were from a black hen (she is a prolific layer while the other rarely lays). I got one black, one partridge (from the other hen), one paint and two unknowns-the paints are white to begin with, unlike a lot of white chicks that start out yellow. here is the paint for comparison.

what could these other two be considered?

also anyone have any idea why the one has such a huge vaulted skull compared to the other???
remember these plain yellow chicks from the paint father and black hen? well here is the one with the large vaulted skull now. his name is Peaches and i thought for the longest time he was a hen! he has one wing feather with some black on it -is he just an odd paint? what colour would he show as?

The other one was a hen, very pretty but with a 5/4 toe pairing. here is a photo of her from the top next to Peaches - she is very much paler, but also has a single partial black feather. i am wondering if these could be used to breed non black paints.

have you seen this?
http://www.chickencolours.com/Pigment holes Paint Silkies.pdf

sorry i meant this new article -it has a lot new that i didnt know
http://www.chickencolours.com/Translation Dutch paint articleX.pdf

Back
Top Bottom