The American Paint Silkie

The feathering on his head. My white roo has similar feathering on the neck but a typical silkie poof on top. The paint seems to have 90's rocker tresses vs typical silkie poof.

The feathering on his head. My white roo has similar feathering on the neck but a typical silkie poof on top. The paint seems to have 90's rocker tresses vs typical silkie poof.

I've had some roosters like that. : )

I prefer it in some ways because they don't need "hair cuts" to be able to see their food or predators. However, it isn't preferred in the show-ring.
I think it really depends on genetics.

Thank you for the help. He's the funniest of all my birds. Second cage door opens he's full speed ahead checking out the girls. Named him Sebastian but he acts like Benny Hill. Will breed him with a couple girls this spring and see what results.

Question. I have three beautiful paint hens and two black (NOT black split) hens. Could I therefore, breed a black split paint roo to all of them?
I know that black split paint and paint will give you deeper, bigger black spots. I'm just wondering what breeding him to my blacks would do??? Thanks!

I'm a little confused... if I have one paint, it should have two copies of black and one copy of dominant white, correct? So if the paint is bred with a black silkie, I should get 50% paint?

Wow, I just found this thread, and there's no way I'll be able to read every single page of this. So, here's what I know, and maybe someone can help me figure out what's going on...

I have a rooster I bought last fall, which is blue and buff. I was told he was the offspring of a buff hen and a blue rooster. I don't really know how to describe his color, so here's a photo of him:

He has been in with 4 hens: 1 black, 1 blue, and 2 splash. The older splash hen is the mother to the younger splash and the black hens, and all the hens are related. All the hens had the same sire, which was a black silkie rooster. (On a side note, the older splash hen has gold overtones rather than silver, which I have been told is unique. I don't know for sure who her mother was, it was so long ago...)

Out of the eggs I hatched out last month I got the following colors: Dominant white (silvery down), black, blue, splash, one that is what looks like blue partridge (hard to tell the actual pattern at this point), and one that looks like it's a paint. The paint one is what is making me scratch my head. At first I thought it was white until the random blue spots started coming in. I'm thinking it's possibly a very light splash, but the down was yellow, and the white feathers are definitely white. I do know that there is recessive white in the mothers' line, so based on what I've said here, can someone give me an idea what is possibly happening? Even if it is a pale splash, it's a nice random change!

I am trying to figure out where or how I ended up with a red paint chick it started with one red don but the more it grow the more red spot it gets! my friend said its not a defect its rare but what the heck makes this??? I can barely find any photos!

20108057_1648084008555546_1799147071_o.jpg

20137863_1648083971888883_1121930861_o.jpg
20148824_1648083918555555_1641680464_o.jpg

I am trying to figure out where or how I ended up with a red paint chick it started with one red don but the more it grow the more red spot it gets! my friend said its not a defect its rare but what the heck makes this??? I can barely find any photos!

Red leakage is found generally in mix-breed chickens, but seeing as how you're silkies are pure, I'm not really sure how! Could just be it's own mutation but it could also be that two different silkie colors were mixed and created this. Certain white birds, when mixed with darker colors, will get spots. I know I accidentally created paint birds and am now making a breed based on them called Dalmatian Bantams. They were white silkies, red pyle OEGB and Silver Laced Sebrights.

Hi guys, I guess I'm a little late to this party. :frow

Nice discussions in this thread. Can someone please clue me in about breeding paints? I currently have 1 paint male and female and a plethora of black females/males plus 1 splash and a blue.

Is there a breeding chart for paint like BBS to show me percentages I will get breeding to other colors? Will I get paint offspring if I breed to black?

TIA, there doesn't seem to be tons of paint info like there is for many others. Or I just haven't found the resources yet. :pop

Back
Top Bottom