The American Paint Silkie

I agree, I've never really found a clear chart to help. I breed Paint chickens (not silkies) and I have no idea what genes are doing what. All I know is that I get a lot of them whether there are blue, black, white, or pyle parents.

My original paints were a mix of Pyle OEGB, Silver Sebrights, and a White silkie.

Is this a rooster or a hen? Is it paint?
22429326_1742864785744134_704004896_o.jpg
22404307_1742864645744148_870645214_o.jpg
22385170_1742864589077487_438701982_n.jpg

I had my wht/paint girl bred to my wht roo present me with 1wht, 1blk, 3 partridge and 5 paint chicks. Is this ordinary? Where did the partridge come from?

I had my wht/paint girl bred to my wht roo present me with 1wht, 1blk, 3 partridge and 5 paint chicks. Is this ordinary? Where did the partridge come from?

White is a dominant color and so your "white" roo is probably hiding some other color in his genes somewhere... would be my best guess from all the research I have done. Chances are you white paint girl might be hiding some genes as well. :)

And so I would say yes, it's PROBABLY normal. :confused:

Bet your babes are pretty! :pop

hey all... i seem to have come across a paint gene in my easter/olive egger flock.

interestingly, the roosters show red shoulders just like the silkies in this thread, but throw little dalmation babies that grow into paint birds.

here is a LINK to a thread i started a couple years back.

hey all... i seem to have come across a paint gene in my easter/olive egger flock.

interestingly, the roosters show red shoulders just like the silkies in this thread, but throw little dalmation babies that grow into paint birds.

here is a LINK to a thread i started a couple years back.

A lot of my paint birds end up with red leakage too. I think its because of the dominant white gene, if I understand right? Not sure. I know I've had paints with red leakage and those without, as well as those that were pure white and those that were "pearly grey" (dirty white).
This link may help us both : )
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ossing-to-non-white-posts-compilation.379322/

Hey guys! So happy I found this thread. I’ve decided to start breeding silkies again and discovered the paint silkie, and instantly fell in love over one chick.
E52C7B7F-4706-4CA9-A1F1-0C1D3B029E56.jpeg

Isn’t she beautiful? Every day more black spots come in.

Anyway, the reason I am here is because of one of the batches of chicks I just bought.
This breeder is experimenting with paints and added lavender in his pen. When I went over there to pick out chicks, I picked some of those (more than I had bargained for). They had some lavender patches, but too early to tell what exactly they’d look like. When I got home, I realized most of the chicks I chose had lavender, which I was a little disappointed about due to me wanting to show and breed paints. Here is what they look like now:
3194BB87-9403-440C-8D4B-0FB26138670C.jpeg

6D51376C-F979-400D-ACDC-ADCC0E13399D.jpeg

They really look like they’re going to turn out beautiful birds, but again, it’s not what I want. I searched lavender x paint and got no results. But then I was looking into the lavender gene.

I’m a complete noob when it comes to genetics, so correct me if I’m misunderstanding. Lavender is a ressessive gene. So if I were to keep these birds and breed them to the blacks that I have, theoretically, their chicks would be paint, with the possibility (or 100% probability?) of carrying one copy of the lavender gene, but it would not show as a phenotype, right?

I guess what I’m getting at is I don’t want to waste the money I spent on these chicks, and they do look like they’ll be beautiful birds. And there is a method to this breeder’s madness as to why he actually added lavender, but I won’t divulge as I don’t know how much is true and how much is theory. So let’s just say in one way or another, it could be benefitting the color paint as a whole. But would it make sense to keep these lavender x paint chicks and breed them to black (expecting a mix of blacks and paints) or would that not be ideal for breeding show paints?

Again, my goal is to breed and show birds. I want to do what’s best for my flock and gene pool. There aren’t exactly a lot of lavender x paints on the Internet, so here seemed a good place to ask.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom