The American Paint Silkie

Pics
Quote:
and since patience is a virtue~~you'll be a very virtuous man
wink.png

There is no breed registry for chickens. There are two organizations in the US that set standards, the American Bantam Association and the American Poultry Association, and membership in one or both is a great idea, but unlike other animals, if it meets the standard, that is what it is, regardless of it background. That said, getting a quality bird usually takes a lot of planned breeding, and generations of work.

Brody's Broodello :

Quote:
Hey Bob, Did you ever get a pic of the "odd" marked chick out of your whites?

Hey April...have my laptop being repaired..hopefully have it back this week.. Can't upload pics from my iPhone​

Quote:
I don't believe anyone has any for sale at this point. We are doing our best to get chicks on the ground but I imagine it will be a good while before anyone has any for sale. Bren or Deb may offer some on an auction as they have had them longer than the rest of us.

I will be bringing my cockerel to show in the Newnan show.

I would LOVE to see him. I've only seen pictures of them so far. Would love to see one in person!

Kathy,

I'll be at the Newnan show and we can sit down and talk paint silkies as much as you want!
big_smile.png
There is so much to discuss that I would be typing for hours if I had to put everything in writing!! The feathers that are both black and white...my cockerel has two feather like that. I asked the poultry geneticist about them and her comment is that the feathers in the black spot should be only black. She suggested that I pluck those two feathers and see if they grow back solid or black and white again. Sometimes young birds will have feathers that aren't what you prefer, but they shed them and feather back in correctly. Just a suggestion.

I'll PM you my phone number so you can give me a call Saturday.

It's ok if you have cockerels, but you certainly don't need that many. The suggestion is that you get some nice black hens and breed the cockerel to them and start hatching. You won't get 100% paints, but you should definitely get some.

Perhaps there are some others that would like a cockerel to start with.
big_smile.png

It's ok if you have cockerels, but you certainly don't need that many. The suggestion is that you get some nice black hens and breed the cockerel to them and start hatching. You won't get 100% paints, but you should definitely get some.

Right now I would love to have more GOOD paint breeding cockerels. It is easier to find black females than paint felmales to put on the black males. That is just my thinking. I have three pens with paint cockerels on black females and only one pen with Eve(paint hen)and her black cockerel. If I compare just one paint cockerel pen to paint pullet pen....I am getting 5 eggs from the black/females being crossed to one paint and only one egg a day from the paint pullet pen. Does that make any sense? I am saying have two cockerls is a good thing. LOL​

Back
Top Bottom