The American Paint Silkie

Pics
Quote:
This is definitely a question for Bren, but I'll try and answer what I can or at least what I am doing right now.

I am hoping that I have 2 pullets because I plan on breeding paint x paint and then one of my paint girls to my white rooster. I also have several black pullets and a couple of really nice hens that I will be using. I am also going to use my white silkies.

I think type will be much easier to accomplish than color. You either have really good color, but they have bad type or you have good type but the color isn't the best. The best way I can explain it, which is the way I was told by Judy Lee. We are trying to get the spots to look like a Jersey Cow. So, we are hoping for the larger black spots.

I haven't seen any reversed paints yet black/white spots.

Quote:
This is definitely a question for Bren, but I'll try and answer what I can or at least what I am doing right now.

I am hoping that I have 2 pullets because I plan on breeding paint x paint and then one of my paint girls to my white rooster. I also have several black pullets and a couple of really nice hens that I will be using. I am also going to use my white silkies.

I think type will be much easier to accomplish than color. You either have really good color, but they have bad type or you have good type but the color isn't the best. The best way I can explain it, which is the way I was told by Judy Lee. We are trying to get the spots to look like a Jersey Cow. So, we are hoping for the larger black spots.

Is it better to cross the Paints to Black or White? When I got my Paint chicks they came with two blacks from the same breeding, so I'm definitely planning on using them. At least one of the Paints is a cockerel, not too sure on the other yet, as they're very young & in that geeky teenage stage.
smile.png

Quote:

Is it better to cross the Paints to Black or White? When I got my Paint chicks they came with two blacks from the same breeding, so I'm definitely planning on using them. At least one of the Paints is a cockerel, not too sure on the other yet, as they're very young & in that geeky teenage stage.
smile.png

When I purchased my Paints from Bren, she said right now that very typey blacks were what they thought was best; however, she did mention that they were finding out that whites might work, too. So I guess, it's worth a shot to try both?!

I can't wait until my quad is old enough to breed so I can work with them! Those of you starting already will have to provide the rest of us with tips/tricks. I think mine are 3-4 months old right now, so I'm hopefully getting close. Maybe, this fall if I'm lucky!

For now I would say that the blacks would be the best to use.

But, I am going to pair this Rooster with a hen and see what they produce. He is producing some super nice offspring so far. So, I am hoping to improve type with him.
34583_pretty_boy_floyd.jpg

34583_floyd.jpg

Some of his chicks that I have hatched. They have super nice toes and foot feathering. (I have paired him with his sisters, and have been getting some culls due to toe issues, but the good ones are really good, so I am trying to weigh the benefits with inbreeding) Several of his offspring have feathering on all 5 toes. So, for now I think he is going to be an asset to the paints, but I will post pics as soon as my girls start laying and I hatch some.
34583_baby_2.jpg

34583_baby_5_toes_pic_2.jpg

Thanks for the response to my questions... It would be really neat to see a Paint that looks like a Holstein cow (Holstein, not Jersey, right?)!!!

So are breeders who have paints having success in trying to increase the black patches? From what I have read, correct me if Iam wrong, the black blotches on a paint are a "hole" in the pigmentation of a white bird. The hole allows you to see the black base color that the white would normally cover up? Is that right?

This sounds similar to the sw extreme white spotting gene boxers (the dog) can carry. The sw gene allows white to cover the fawn or brindle base color of a dog in varying degrees depending on what other modifier genes are present. With a lack of modifier genes, the white can cover the entire dog, more modifiers results in patches over the dogs body (we call it check(ed)) or even more result in just minimal markings (called flash) which many show breeders find desireable.

Does breeding to blacks seem to increase the size and number of the patches?

One more question.... Does the size amount of patches you see on a chick change as they mature and feather in? Is what you see at hatch what you get, or does the pigment increase or decrease with time?

Thanks!

Jess

PAINT SHOWGIRLS
It happened, I hatched a paint show girl, from my showgirl cock over paint hens. Strange, the skin is white and not black. A total of 6 hatched, the 1 paint showgirl, (pictured below) 1, solid white with white skin, 1 solid black, 2 solid white with a few black spots (no naked necks) and a black naked neck, I was told this was not possible, a F1 paint showgirl.
tongue.png

paintshowgirls045.jpg

paintshowgirls044.jpg

paintshowgirls043.jpg

paintshowgirls042.jpg

paintshowgirls041.jpg

paintshowgirls040.jpg

paintshowgirls039.jpg

BTW, I have a few dozen Pure Dutch Paints for sale, along with blacks and whites from paints
anyone interested PM, thanks

Back
Top Bottom