The American Paint Silkie

Pics
Wahoo!!!! I hatched out my very first PAINT! YAY!!!!!
wee.gif
ya.gif
celebrate.gif
Can you tell I'm excited?
lau.gif

60743_first_paint.jpg

He's handsome! I know you are THRILLED to see him start doing his job! Hahaha! I know i was when my lav boy started! HAPPY DANCE (in more ways than one!
lol.png
)

Elite Silkies says....

"Thank you, he is my most handsome so far. I think I have 4 cockerels and I'm hoping two pullets! But, I'm super excited! "

I'm really excited for you too. What are you breeding him to? Has anyone really figured out the genetics of the Paints?

As I understand it the color goes clear down to the skin? Not just on the ends or anything?

Really pretty roo! I'm just a little disappointed that they weren't called "Appaloosa" Silkies instead of Paints!
lau.gif

Okay, so I really like Paint Silkies!!!! Really neat looking birds.

I know they are rare, and breeders are working on them, but I am curious about how rare they are. More so from the stand point of that I am curious how large of a genetic base of paint birds are actually out there to work with in the US.

For those who do have them, what are breeders working on most? Is it size and uniformity of the patches of color? I've seen some photos of paints with decent sized black patches over their whole body and others with few and small spots of black.

Are paints bred to paints, or are they being bred to blacks or other colors to improve on their marking pattern? Is it possible to breed for birds with more/larger black patches? What about a bird that is more black than white, with white patches? Or is that not possible?

Forgive my naivety, but I am new to chicken genetics and I am curious about the genetics of these birds!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom