The American Paint Silkie

Thanks ! we where suspecting mites but she was treated for mites by the last owner. She could still be recovering.

That's probably the case. Hope she gets better! My paint pullet has been battling something. Some people think it's MG, but it's starting to think it's not.

Last edited:
That's probably the case. Hope she gets better! My paint pullet has been battling something. Some people think it's MG, but it's starting to think it's not.

Be careful Jharper, they can get better from a Respitatory disease and still be a carrier and infect new birds and if they get stressed they can get sick again. Not trying to tell you what to do just want you to be aware.

Hey guys, I breed Paint Showgirls. I have acquired two pretty Black Silkies (supposedly TRUE black birds, not from other pairings), and I THINK I have decided on the best one to use to help improve silkie type and close skin and eye pigment holes with Paint Silkies and Showgirls. These birds are both about 6 months old, now.

Can anyone give me some feedback on which one YOU think looks nicer? The guy on the right in the first pic started crowing first, and has a much nicer crest, cushion, and foot feathering, but his comb isn't as compact at the boy on the left. This could very well be a factor of his quicker maturation, however. They have BOTH started crowing now, but the shorter guy (he has always weighed a but less, as well) doesn't bother much, as they live together and he is clearly subordinate. I have never seen him mount a lady, either, out of deference to his brother. The bigger guy is certainly not TOO big, just heavier than his brother. They are both nice compact birds. Short guy generally seems goofier than his bigger brother, as well - just not as aware of what's going in....his crest gets in his eyes more, though, so he may very well just not be able to see very well. What characteristics should I favor more? I need to move the less typey dude to a pet home asap to make sure I know who daddy is with the Paints. I have pretty much decided on the bigger guy just for that cushion and good stance, but want to make sure I'm choosing correctly.

Bigger fellow's comb isn't as compact as I want it to be, but is proportional and not humongous:

Smaller guy's comb is much more compact, and I HAVE heard him crow, so may stay pretty tiny:

His foot feathering and crest and cushion just aren't as good, in my opinion:

Hey guys, I breed Paint Showgirls. I have acquired two pretty Black Silkies (supposedly TRUE black birds, not from other pairings), and I THINK I have decided on the best one to use to help improve silkie type and close skin and eye pigment holes with Paint Silkies and Showgirls. These birds are both about 6 months old, now.

Can anyone give me some feedback on which one YOU think looks nicer? The guy on the right in the first pic started crowing first, and has a much nicer crest, cushion, and foot feathering, but his comb isn't as compact at the boy on the left. This could very well be a factor of his quicker maturation, however. They have BOTH started crowing now, but the shorter guy (he has always weighed a but less, as well) doesn't bother much, as they live together and he is clearly subordinate. I have never seen him mount a lady, either, out of deference to his brother. The bigger guy is certainly not TOO big, just heavier than his brother. They are both nice compact birds. Short guy generally seems goofier than his bigger brother, as well - just not as aware of what's going in....his crest gets in his eyes more, though, so he may very well just not be able to see very well. What characteristics should I favor more? I need to move the less typey dude to a pet home asap to make sure I know who daddy is with the Paints. I have pretty much decided on the bigger guy just for that cushion and good stance, but want to make sure I'm choosing correctly.

Bigger fellow's comb isn't as compact as I want it to be, but is proportional and not humongous:

Smaller guy's comb is much more compact, and I HAVE heard him crow, so may stay pretty tiny:

His foot feathering and crest and cushion just aren't as good, in my opinion:

Back
Top Bottom