The American Paint Silkie

Ya know I wondered if that could be lav leakage. The grayish feathers are even barred like a lav. Could that be possible to have lav paints? I'm definitely going to have to break down and get sigis genetics book because that would be gorgeous if possible :D

Ya know I wondered if that could be lav leakage. The grayish feathers are even barred like a lav. Could that be possible to have lav paints? I'm definitely going to have to break down and get sigis genetics book because that would be gorgeous if possible
big_smile.png

I'm not aware of anyone having bred lavender into their paints, but it could happen. And would require that BOTH parents provide the gene for it to show in their offspring.

Last edited:

Its not barring like you would see on a cuckoo. The lavs I had years ago had very faint lines on their feathers if you looked closely and in the right light. I freaked out about that which I first noticed it, and was informed that was totally normal for lavender. It may not even be called barring, that's my generic description of it LOL.

Its not barring like you would see on a cuckoo. The lavs I had years ago had very faint lines on their feathers if you looked closely and in the right light. I freaked out about that which I first noticed it, and was informed that was totally normal for lavender. It may not even be called barring, that's my generic description of it LOL.

Hello fellow chicken lovers, I'm in search of silkies no color preference as I just love the breed , I'm located in Columbia county ny/ Berkshire mass area . I prefer home/farm breed over hatchery , anyone know any breeders in my area?

My long time wanting, two shipments of eggs to Alaska, baby. A black split to paint hatched also.
I know that black split to lavender can exist, as black will be dominant and hide the lavender gene... located in the same section ((then I lose any knowledge of technical terms with regards to genetics)).... but isn't the paint gene a dominant or dominant recessive white with holes? But the paint - like solid white, I think is dominant. So if it there, it will show. So if you got a black out of the paint bred eggs, there is no paint gene in that individual. When I got paint eggs, I was told that just about anything can also show up as they are genetics that were otherwise hidden by dominant paint.

This is just my understanding, I am pretty new at these and could be wrong. Your breeder might be able to give you better info on the background genetics or what tends to show up out of their hatches.

Back
Top Bottom